Sign in to follow this  
markush

Better Rivets?

I just got some double cap rivets from Springfield leather and I cannot set them without deforming one or both of the caps. BUT I have some single caps that I bought from Tandy about 10 years ago and I have absolutely no problem setting them without deforming the cap...they are noticeably thicker material though.

Are rivets just being made cheaper these days or Is there a better quality double cap rivet out there?

I just got some double cap rivets from Springfield leather and I cannot set them without deforming one or both of the caps. BUT I have some single caps that I bought from Tandy about 10 years ago and I have absolutely no problem setting them without deforming the cap...they are noticeably thicker material though.

Are rivets just being made cheaper these days or Is there a better quality double cap rivet out there?

When living in the US I bought my "single caps" (or Jiffy rivets) at Ohio Travel Bag. I think their quallity is super, not that thinn material :thumbsup: (I hope they have not changend their supplyer) I think they by the stuff from Belgium (?)

http://www.ohiotravelbag.com/

I think you're right, the quality of some of the metal stuff sure seems to have gone downhill. I've noticed the same thing on both the what I call speedy rivets (I think the same thing you're talking about, )also snaps. I was buying some of that stuff from Tandy and it sure seems to have gotten flimsy.

I have some of those rivets I got in a bunch of stuff I bought from an individual who was selling all of her dad's leatherwork supplies and tools and they are night and day different than what Tandy is selling now. Somebody is trying to save a fraction of a cent on their product.

So I started buying snaps from Panhandle Leather, their line 24 snaps are way better than Tandy's. same thing with Chicago screws. Good to know that Ohio Travel Bag has some better stuff, I will give them a try.

The Tandy snaps have failed more times then I care to discuss for my IWB loops. Some would not set properly - others just did not stay fastened. The star snaps, the "heavy duty" snaps the sell did not hold secure.

Ordered from http://www.fasnap.com/index.php they had very fast turnaround time and inventory was onhand to ship. Minimum order of 50.00 BUT I have enough snap sets to run 50 holsters. (picked up bags of 100 on the heavy duty snaps, hard action screw stud sockets, heavy duty caps). Have been fantastic - they hold nice and tight and do not come undone unless you want it to.

information added: http://riteonscrew.com/allproducts.html has chicago screws sold as pairs or as individual parts.

The best eyelets that I have found for leather are found at http://knifekits.com they are the only eyelets that I have found that are deep enough to handle 2 layers of leather at a time (8/9oz). I started using these when I was making kydex holsters and have not found a better eyelet for leather.

Be Safe,

Doc

Edited by lonestar tactical

information added: http://riteonscrew.c...llproducts.html has chicago screws sold as pairs or as individual parts.

I second Rite On Screw for chicago screws as I've been ordering them for years. Rite On machines their products onsite and they are located in CA. The only drawback to their screws is that they cost more (but you'll notice the difference in quality immediately) and the heads for the screws are slightly bigger than average screw. Rite On does offer serrated chicago screws, where the head for the female part has ridges on the underside which grip the leather and help to prevent the female end from turning. They also offer smaller chicago screws, called flat head screws on their website, which are considerably smaller, both in head size and post length / diameter, than regular screws. The only drawback to the flat head screws is that there are only three standard post lengths available, which limits their application considerably. I have custom ordered the flat head screws so that their serrated and the posts are longer than their standard offering, which required a minimum order and set up fee but I'm extremely pleased with what I recieved. If you have the means and want to support US jobs / manufacturing, I highly recommend checking out Rite On Screw.