buckeroo1

Singer 31-15 W/ Table

post-17682-076137000 1315622867_thumb.pn I don't know if anyone is interested....but on the "Houston" CRAIGSLIST....there is a very good looking 31-15 Singer for sale! Just this week, I was "given" a very nice 31-15 and don't even know what possessed me to look on Craigslist but I did! This is how the machine is listed: "SINGER COMMERCIAL SEWING MACHINE - $650.00" and is listed under appliances. I guess the devil made me do it....so I called the man, and he must be very eager to sell, as I immediately offered him $450.00....and he asked me when I wanted to pick it up! I haven't made an appointment with him yet....told him I would call back monday (9/12/11). I really don't want another 31-15....but I may buy it for re-sell if nobody here wants to purchase it. Anyway.....if you are anywhere near Houston, this may be what you are looking for as good 31-15's are getting harder and harder to find. I have attached the photo he had on his ad.

I have one... but I think that $450 is way too much to pay. I guess depending on the condition of each item (table,motor,head,etc). It's a good machine and a classic but they're pretty easy to come by from what I can tell. BTW, a roller foot is a great investment if using these for leather.

I bought mine a little while ago ....head only.....in mint condition for less then 100 bucks....table goes for ...new...about 75 and a clutch motor often for little nothing!!

Be aware, lots of people think because it is black, old and sews....its worth a lot of money....often not so!

Greetings

James

I actually paid about $50 for the head, table, clutch motor combo... but the head needed to be repainted really badly, so I redid it in industrial/battleship grey, about $15 in supplies. The clutch motor basically makes it useless to me right now though, I've got to replace the clutch motor with a servo so I can control the speed, you may consider that too when buying one.

Edited by CustomDoug

Doug is correct. Buy a head for $75 and invest the rest in a serve-pro motor. You'll be MILES ahead.

I got my 31-15 for $100, including table and clutch motor. Wanta buy a clutch motor?

Nuff said.

Kevin

Doug is correct. Buy a head for $75 and invest the rest in a serve-pro motor. You'll be MILES ahead.

I got my 31-15 for $100, including table and clutch motor. Wanta buy a clutch motor?

Nuff said.

Kevin

Thanks for the replies.....guess I am more ignorant that my wife says I am :deadsubject: and I appreciate all the input! The fact of the matter is, I have quite a few different machines and already have a 31-15 myself but was attempting to "share" some information I believe would possibly help somebody on this site who might be looking for a machine in good shape. Maybe I fell off the turnip truck....but to me $450 would be a fair and reasonable price. Yes....I also agree that you might find one much cheaper....but when will that day come? Heck, I might even win the lottery....but I am not planning on it. Personally, my 31-15 was a gift by a man that "just wanted it out of his garage!".....and I wouldn't sell it for $450. My work horse is an old Adler 105, and my other machines include a Tippmann "Boss", a nice Singer 241-12, an old Elna "Grasshopper", a Singer 99K and two or three other old Singer's I am presently bringing back to life as time permits. Anyway....thanks again for the replies...but I am still going to bet that somebody will purchase it and be glad they did.

Thanks for the replies.....guess I am more ignorant that my wife says I am :deadsubject: and I appreciate all the input! The fact of the matter is, I have quite a few different machines and already have a 31-15 myself but was attempting to "share" some information I believe would possibly help somebody on this site who might be looking for a machine in good shape. Maybe I fell off the turnip truck....but to me $450 would be a fair and reasonable price. Yes....I also agree that you might find one much cheaper....but when will that day come? Heck, I might even win the lottery....but I am not planning on it. Personally, my 31-15 was a gift by a man that "just wanted it out of his garage!".....and I wouldn't sell it for $450. My work horse is an old Adler 105, and my other machines include a Tippmann "Boss", a nice Singer 241-12, an old Elna "Grasshopper", a Singer 99K and two or three other old Singer's I am presently bringing back to life as time permits. Anyway....thanks again for the replies...but I am still going to bet that somebody will purchase it and be glad they did.

Buck

I enjoyed our phone conversation today very much !!

You have a nice collection of sewing machines....and yes the 105 is my favorite too!!

As said, nice to chad with you and looking foreward to hear more from you!!

Best wishes and greetings to 'good ol Texas....

James

Greetings! I'm new year, so I guess you could call this my Innaugural post. My interest lies in basically sewing garment leather or variants of it in the PVC vinyl format - due to the larger assortment of patterns, colors and flexibility on how much one needs to buy. The past 3 months, have been a "buying binge" as I've been working on the process of buying up machines based on research. Well, the research I've performed has sort of provided me with a mixed bag of results. I initially had 3 portable machines at one time - of which, they all hand claims that they could sew leather. Essentially, that really wasn't the case because I experienced issues in one form or another even on the lightest leather or vinyl along with using Teflon presser feet. Needless to say, I sold off those 3 machines without losing any money in the process.

I then started to look into industrial machines for what I needed to do. I do realize just because something is industrial or heavy duty doesn't mean that it's cut out to work with leather all the time. The first machine I picked up was a Pfaff 463 with a nearly new Consew 1/2 HP clutch motor. The machine head needs a few accessories to get replaced and I'll have to rebuild the table top because the current top is a bit warped (particle board and 70 Lb. machine heads) don't work too well together). However, I ironically only paid $50 for the complete unit - "K" legs and all. I'm going to renovate this machine and then sell it off - unless I develop some true love affair with it.

My second machine purchased less than a week after the first was a Singer 31-15. It has the clutch motor, a solid wood top - made out of strips of wood, but is thick and heavy. The motor works great. The head itself is painted the industrial grey and most of the decals have rubbed off. This machine will get renovated and I'll probably also put it up for sale, too. I actually didn't buy this machine, but I did get it free off of Craigslist. The owners were seeking to give it away. I responded and rather than groveling for the machine, I kindly stated that in exchange for the machine, I would make a donation to their favorite charity. Apparently, my e-mail caught their attention as they called me and indicated they'd like for me to be the one to have their machine. I'll refinish this machine, then I'm not exactly sure where I'll put it to use.

My third machine was purchased the day following the Singer 31-15. I had been in e-mail communications with the seller, who was a lady that was selling off the equipment from her bridal gown business. The machine was a Brother DB2-####-###. It features a clutch motor, a good table top and I paid $200 for the beast. It's the machine that I'm currently using to sew my vinyl and lightweight leather with ... and, it's working like a dream. The only issue / complaint that I have to make is the speed. I'll either need to look for a speed reducer or go with a servo motor - of which, I think the servo might be my best choice for speed control.

Finally, this takes me to my 4th machine. I'll be picking it up this coming weekend. This machine is a real leather sewing machine and is the Tech-Sew GA5-1 - which also is sold under other brand names to include Cowboy, etc. I don't believe this machine has a servo motor, but I do think it has the speed reducer pulley system in place. I don't believe the machine is much more than a year old. The owner ran into an issue where the timing is currently out of whack. So, it will be my job to get that situated so the machine will work properly. I won't indicate the price that I'll pay for this machine because I think some of you guys might come after me with a machete.

More to follow in due time. :blahblahblah:

Edited by Wayne E