Ecapone

Introducing Myself With A Recent Work

Hello everyone I am new in this forum. My name is Enrique and I have been braiding rawhide for at least 28 years. I was born in Argentina where I learnt most of my techniques. I just finish this "Cattle Counter" a few days ago. A Cattle Counter has 10 sliding beads so it can be used as an abacus. Normally the 10 beads are identical but in this case it has 10 different beads so it is a sampler. I hope you like it.

2-1.jpg

3-2.jpg

5.jpg

Cheers,

Enrique

Welcome Enrique!

Glad to see someone bring a bit more gaucho work to the site. On the edge lacing on the straps, how many strands did you use? Ive been trying to figure out a way to do something that has an over 2 under 2 pattern for edge lacing that would look like what you did.

By the way, you did an excellent job on this, looks really clean.

Have a good one,

CW

Welcome aboard Enrique. Nice to see you here.

LW here is a very fine braider and he has a couple of books he has published. Just thought you all should know. I have one of his books called braided boarders. Excellent book and very informative and easy to follow.

B...

Welcome Enrique. Beautiful work, I like the "sampler" of beads - quite a variety.

Welcome Enrique!

Glad to see someone bring a bit more gaucho work to the site. On the edge lacing on the straps, how many strands did you use? Ive been trying to figure out a way to do something that has an over 2 under 2 pattern for edge lacing that would look like what you did.

By the way, you did an excellent job on this, looks really clean.

Have a good one,

CW

CW,

This braided borders are made with only one strand. There are some variations on how to do it. I self learn this so I didn't know any name for it. Later I found that in my country everybody know them as the Sewing from 1 to 7. The way to do it is easy. You go from hole number 1 to the hole number 7 over the border. Then you come back over the border again but this time you enter on hole number 2. From hole nunber 2 you have to go to the number 8, then from 8 to 3, then from 3 to 9, etc. As you go forward, you have to braid with the strands you find. The patern will be: when you go forward you pass over one, under 2 over 2 and then over the border to enter in the next free hole. Coming back you go: Over the edge and then over two, under two and over one.

There is an easier one called from 1 to 5.

I wrote a book about it as it was mentioned by one of the members. It is called "Braided Borders"

Let me know if my explanation was not clear.

Cheers,

Enrique

Thanks everybody for the warm welcome.

Enrique

I wrote a book about it as it was mentioned by one of the members. It is called "Braided Borders"

I have that book! Bought it a couple years ago on Ebay.

Your work is stunning.

Aaron

Enrique

Welcome to the forum!

Bienvenidos, Enrique!

¡Somos felices de tenerle aquí con nosotros! Usted hace un cierto trabajo asombroso!

That braided edge, as explained , sounds like a lengthened version of the "Mexican basket weave" border.

That's some kick a** work. I'm going to get the book! Where??? Never mind I'll go search!

So which one of your books has all those knots in it.

Edited by entiendo

Thanks everybody for all your comments. I am glad you like my work.

Enrique

Enrique

Very nice work. I'm always impressed with y'alls work from Argentina. Thanks for sharing and a big welcome to a great site.

Mike

Hello everyone I am new in this forum. My name is Enrique and I have been braiding rawhide for at least 28 years. I was born in Argentina where I learnt most of my techniques. I just finish this "Cattle Counter" a few days ago. A Cattle Counter has 10 sliding beads so it can be used as an abacus. Normally the 10 beads are identical but in this case it has 10 different beads so it is a sampler. I hope you like it.

2-1.jpg

3-2.jpg

5.jpg

Cheers,

Enrique

Hello Enrique, Very nice work. I would like to meet you some time. I live 45 miles north of Dallas in the town of Krum. Contavt me by e mail and we'll get together, Thanks Clint Haverty Edited by CLH

Hola Enrique

un gusto verte por estos rumbos !!!! parece que los demas miembros lla te dieron la bienvenida pero como sea te la vuelvo a dar. un saludo desde el paso.

hello Enrique

its a pelasure to see you around these parts !!!! looks like the other members already welcomed you but none the less welcome. greetings from el paso.

FYI for the other members Enrique is a great braider and an a great individual, he has a wealth of knowledge. i was lucky enough to meet him at another forum. when i mentioned this community to him he told me he would stop by and he did lucky for us !!! his books are very informative also.

Bienvenidos, Enrique!

¡Somos felices de tenerle aquí con nosotros! Usted hace un cierto trabajo asombroso!

That braided edge, as explained , sounds like a lengthened version of the "Mexican basket weave" border.

I don't know how the Mexican Basket Weave border is done, but yes, it looks similar.

The easiest border is from 1 to 3. It would look like a 4 thongs round braid. You go from

1 to 3

3 to 2

2 to 4

4 to 3

Etc.

As you go back and forth, you have to braid to the pattern is over one under one all the time.

Cheers,

Enrique

Hola Enrique

un gusto verte por estos rumbos !!!! parece que los demas miembros lla te dieron la bienvenida pero como sea te la vuelvo a dar. un saludo desde el paso.

hello Enrique

its a pelasure to see you around these parts !!!! looks like the other members already welcomed you but none the less welcome. greetings from el paso.

FYI for the other members Enrique is a great braider and an a great individual, he has a wealth of knowledge. i was lucky enough to meet him at another forum. when i mentioned this community to him he told me he would stop by and he did lucky for us !!! his books are very informative also.

Hello Jorge,

It is great to find you here. Thanks for giving me the link to this forum.

Saludos

Enrique

I stand in awe of the fine work you guys do. Just beautiful.

There's another edge braid that looks really nice on straight runs and it is essentially the same pattern but ONLY in the 'over' path ....no 'under' braids.. It results in a herringbone braid. I don't think it covers corners as well, but that could just as well be poor technique on my part.

I've run it 1-3, 1-4, but it gets too unstable for good coverage after that.

I have done a 1-7 spread on one my own key chains that resulted in the herringbone. The closing of it was difficult to figure out. I even got close to making it the start finish disappear. I have this project that has been buggin me for the past week now. It just wont give me any kind of peace at all. Looks like I'm going to have to try it out to find out if it will actually look good when done.

Have any of you all encountered this kind of thing with a project that is on your mind and wont leave you alone?

B...

I have done a 1-7 spread on one my own key chains that resulted in the herringbone. The closing of it was difficult to figure out. I even got close to making it the start finish disappear. I have this project that has been buggin me for the past week now. It just wont give me any kind of peace at all. Looks like I'm going to have to try it out to find out if it will actually look good when done.

Have any of you all encountered this kind of thing with a project that is on your mind and wont leave you alone?

B...

All the time and I get in a bad mood if I don't have the time to do it.

Enrique

I find myself getting the same way. LOL...

B...