Clicker dies? Never owned one. Multi-ton presses? Never used one.

Just an old-fashioned guy here, patterning every piece by hand, cutting every piece by hand, assembling every piece by hand, fitting every piece by hand.

You younger folks make an old grampa-man like me feel older than I should! I've only shipped 16 items this week, and I only have 22 orders in production right now, thinking about how much of my holiday weekend I will need to spend in the shop working.

My goodness, if I invest a few thousand in clicker dies, then a few thousand more in a clicker press, then a few thousand more in a press to form my holsters, why I might cut my production time down from 40-45 minutes (per unit produced) to who knows what?

I take orders for one week. Then I spend a week cutting each piece (by hand), assembling each piece (by hand), sewing each piece. Then I spend a few hours dying everything, in separate processes based upon colors desired. Then I spend a few hours fitting each piece to the handgun it is intended for. Then I spend a few hours each day for a few days in the finishing process (oiling and final surface finishes).

So far, my customers seem to be quite happy with a 2 to 3 week turnaround time on orders. So far, I haven't spent a dime on clicker dies, clicker presses, forming presses, etc, etc, etc.

So, you may call me old-fashioned, and you'd be quite right. You may call me old school, and you'd be right. You can call me anything you like, but you might just have to call me long-distance because this little business of mine is making money every day and my wife likes to travel!

Why make simple things so complicated? :deadsubject:

Ya got a bunch of good points there, Lobo, . . . but I done bought my rubber pads, . . . got my 6 ton jack, . . . got the steel backer plates, . . . just haven't welded up the press so I can give my old thumbs a rest.

Yeah, . . . I do it like you do, . . . haven't had anyone send one back yet, . . . saying he wanted his professionally cut with a clicker press, . . . :gun:

May God bless,

Dwight

I think it is because tools r cool, hand work is great, but so is making your own mechanical contraptions LOL. I do most of my leatherwork manually but sometimes the right tool makes it so much easier.

I have often thought about doing something similar to this. It is a great idea and should work great. However the one thing I would change would be not to press in tight around the chamber simply because a lot of them are not polished or rounded on that part of the slide and it will hang up. As an instructor of concealed carry and some experience with holster making I have found they can be formed to tight and will keep the gun from being drawn quickly. Another draw back is that portion of the leather can be cut from the slide and you will end up with a piece of it on your gun every time you draw it. I hand form mine and it works great. I know a lot of people dont want to dpend the time doing it or want a perfect look of a gun on the outside of the leather but if so I would use a thin leather that will give easier than 8oz. it is simply to thick.

Im not knocking this one bit. I would probably preform some kydex sheets so you can choose where and how much pressure is applied. Another words dont form the kydex tight on the chanber opening so when you press the leather it doesn't form it so deep in that spot.

Just my 2 cents worth.