vtwinvixen

What Are These?

They are all outsole sewing machines, for attaching soles on shoes.

Trox

Bought an auction lot of machines, and I have no idea what they are... help?

My link

Those machines are a shoe repairman's dream. There's even a McKay in there. Man, a lot of soles could be sewn on those machines. Someone could even go into the shoe building business if they bought the lot out.

For the Poster: These machines can only sew along the perimeter of leather. They stitch outer soles onto the insoles of boots and shoes. Using 6 or 7 cord, right twist, linen thread, run through liquid wax in a pot, they are awesome machines to watch in action. At about 500 pounds each, they need a cement floor to support them. I have even seen shoe repair shops that have their sole stitcher bolted into the cement floor.

The Landis Gs were fairly easy to identify and research, I had a general idea what they were. The Auto-Solers I must confess, confuse me. They have giant spools of very stiff wire, I can't imagine sewing on a sole with that, are they to attach heels or something? I also have been unable to pin down exactly which models the red Champion, and the little American machines are. I would love to know what models they all are, so I can buy books, and decide which I am going to keep. Ideas?

The primary use for the Auto Solers is to put heels on. You have one model for heavier shoes/boots and one for ladies shoes/dress shoes. They can be adjusted so that they drive the wire into the material and cut it off at the length you set by turning a knob and/ moving a lever. You must keep your hand away from the sides of the shoe heel because the wire can come out the side and into you!

Your American is an American Straight Needle which sews with the shoe right side up. Sheath and small case makers can use this machine. The Landis is a curved needle machine which sews with the shoe sole side up. You gotta learn how to dance to this one's tune as there is a learning curve. The Champion McKay is a chain stitch machine which sews through the bottom of the shoe as opposed to the welt edge.

If these machines are as good as they look, you have a great bunch there.

Here are 2 places that can help you with finding what you need

Some say that the American straight needle lays down some of the best stitching out there , but parts are very limited and the throat depth limits what you can do .

Campbell Randall Machinery Co.

Pilgrim Shoe & Sewing Machine Co., Inc.

Edited by wolfe9