To all that cover seats, what is the best thing to seal the seat with? I have an '05 Softail that I am about to cut my spare seat down to a solo seat and cut the foam very thin and cover with tooled leather. I see alot of custom seats, but I don't know how many of them go on bikes that actually get ridden. By that I mean getting caught in the occasional rainstorm etc. Anyone shine some light for me?

To all that cover seats, what is the best thing to seal the seat with? I have an '05 Softail that I am about to cut my spare seat down to a solo seat and cut the foam very thin and cover with tooled leather. I see alot of custom seats, but I don't know how many of them go on bikes that actually get ridden. By that I mean getting caught in the occasional rainstorm etc. Anyone shine some light for me?

I can virtually guarantee that every seat I make goes on a bike that is ridden. For my seats, if the stain is tan or natural leather I use Fiebings Leather Balm with Atom wax.....Picards is good too. If the seat is black, I've begun using Neat Lac to stop the problem with crocking that occurs is some dyed black leather.

Use that Neat Lac in a well ventilated area....it stinks of the lacquer base.

Dave

pecards on all my seats and they do get used. you just need to apply it now and then. it's not a one time finish

Doesnt the Neat Lac crack and peal once the seat is sat on and used? thought neat lac was only for items that would not get flexed......

Doesnt the Neat Lac crack and peal once the seat is sat on and used? thought neat lac was only for items that would not get flexed......

No.

I have used it for leather items, from belts to wallets- just about everything- since the '70s. It will only crack & peel if used over certain things- one of them, I believe, is antique (the old fiebings turpentine-based & the newer wax-based antiques- I don't know about the new eco-flo gel antiques, I haven't used them yet)). There are a few others, but I can't remember right now. It is very, very flexible. If applied too thick, or too many coats, yes, then it could crack, just like other finishes. Many people don't like it because of its glossy finish, and it certainly has a lacquer smell, but to answer your concern, it does flex & won't crack if used properly.

Snowseal gets all over everything. Good for boots. A long time ago I made a shirt out of cow hide and waring it outside in the snowy weather I put snowseal on it. I went into a store and leaned on the glass of a show case looking at something. When I startyed to walk away I saw the big smeer I left on the glass counter. Guy was tict when he tried to clean it.GH

Thanks guys. I wasn't trying to say anything about the people who buy custom seats, if that's what was thought. I don't believe I have ever seen a hand tooled seat going down the road, and I see ALOT of bikes. But I do appreciate the help on what is used, and I learned something about neatlac as well. I have never had anything crack when I have used it over the Tandy (I think) antique either.. Thanks

Neat Lac does not crack or peal. This is a finish that is thin as water, penetrates the leather and seals that nasty black dye inside the leather. I've even put two or three coats of the stuff on very porous leather with no problems....be aware the more you use the glossier the item becomes.Dave
Thanks guys. I wasn't trying to say anything about the people who buy custom seats, if that's what was thought. I don't believe I have ever seen a hand tooled seat going down the road, and I see ALOT of bikes. But I do appreciate the help on what is used, and I learned something about neatlac as well. I have never had anything crack when I have used it over the Tandy (I think) antique either.. Thanks
Did you hear that guys and gal? That is our job guarantee! There are still bikes out there without one of our seats! So why are you reading this? GET BACK TO WORK!LOLDave

You don't see them going down the road cause some guy's butt is on it...Haaaa!

Besides, if you do see one going down the road yer tooo close.

I kill mesef.. :rockon: