New guy with a question here. I've followed the instructions for making vinegaroon posted on the site and have used it on maybe two dozen holsters, mostly with excellent results. But I've had a couple where parts of the leather just don't turn black completely -- I get a little of the natural tan showing through in a blotchy kinds of way. Repeated applications of vinegaroon didn't fix the blotchy areas. I've fixed it by touching it up with black dye, so I can't post any pictures. But I'm wondering what would cause the problem.

I vaccuum-formed the holster before staining it, and the area seemed kid of shiny. But I've had similar shiny places on other holsters that have taken the stain uniformly.

BTW: This site is amazing. I've learned a huge amount from everything that you folks post here.

tk

Where did you purchase the leather and what size was it?

Oil from hands, or possibly residue from glue can cause that. Remember to clean the leather first and keep your hands clean while working. Then, there's just some leather that doesn't react well to it. You can increase the amount of tannins available for reaction by giving the leather a quick bath in plain black tea (lipton, luzianne, etc) before introducing the vinegaroon.

What Twinoaks said is right on.

I had this problem with some Tandy stuff, but never with the Hermann Oak that I've been getting from Springfield Leather.

Depending on where you get it if it has been in a retail environment the chances of the leather getting something on it is likely. Ive only had this issue with tandy and waterhouse vegtan. I had a cheaper side from tandy a long time ago that looked like it had been sprayed with something. There were spots all over that wouldnt take it.

The nice thing about vinegaroon is that you can soak it through from the back side in most cases.

Oil from hands, or possibly residue from glue can cause that. Remember to clean the leather first and keep your hands clean while working. Then, there's just some leather that doesn't react well to it. You can increase the amount of tannins available for reaction by giving the leather a quick bath in plain black tea (lipton, luzianne, etc) before introducing the vinegaroon.

If you opted to use the tea bath...should you let it dry before the applying the vinegaroon?

Folks,

thanks for all the insight. Yeah, this was Tandy leather. I'm going to have to check out the better stuff from Herman Oak and W&C.

tk

If you opted to use the tea bath...should you let it dry before the applying the vinegaroon?

Nope - do it while it's still wet.......

Nope - do it while it's still wet.......

I'll second this. I had some tandy leather that did this and I was able to give it a tea bath after my first vinegarooning. The second treatment evened it right out.

I'll second this. I had some tandy leather that did this and I was able to give it a tea bath after my first vinegarooning. The second treatment evened it right out.

That's good advice.

THANKS!

tk