allstarleathers

Sewing Machine Problem

I recently bought a seiko machine. I work with hair on cowhide, etc. When I tried the sewing machine before i bought it, it worked fine. However while unloading it out of the truck by myself I dropped it. Only one little piece broke, the small hook that goes around the top part of the needle for the thread to run through before it goes throught the needle. I dont know if it has any affect on my problem though. I may have been using the wrong size needle for the heavy thread i have, because at first the top thread would bunch up underneath the material. So i took it apart and put the smaller thread on that it came with and now the needle does not catch the bobbin thread. I tried messing with the clutch to see if it was just out of timing, but i havent been able to figure it out. Please help!

If something broke, take it back to the seller and have him fix it. The thread guide on the needle bar is important, it causes the thread to ride in the thread groove on the needle. If the thread runs out of the groove, it can cause skipped stitches.

In any instance, we need to know what machine, what needle, what thread, and whatever other information you have. you will definitely need a new part for the one you broke. I assume by clutch you mean the safety clutch, and it is either engaged or not, so that is probably not the problem.

Art

I recently bought a seiko machine. I work with hair on cowhide, etc. When I tried the sewing machine before i bought it, it worked fine. However while unloading it out of the truck by myself I dropped it. Only one little piece broke, the small hook that goes around the top part of the needle for the thread to run through before it goes throught the needle. I dont know if it has any affect on my problem though. I may have been using the wrong size needle for the heavy thread i have, because at first the top thread would bunch up underneath the material. So i took it apart and put the smaller thread on that it came with and now the needle does not catch the bobbin thread. I tried messing with the clutch to see if it was just out of timing, but i havent been able to figure it out. Please help!

WELCOME TO THE NET! Finest forum around for your needs.

Art, as ALMOST always, is right. Take it back and have it checked out by the people you bought it from. You see one piece broken....how many more just moved?

IF IT SEWED NICE BEFORE YOU DROPPED IT, AND NOW IT DOESN'T ...DUH?

I realized that it doesn't work because I dropped it. I am trying to figure out how to fix it. The guy I bought it from doesn't know anything about sewing machines, so that route is a dead end. It sewed fine after I dropped it, too. However I think because I used too big of thread for the needle that was on it, the thread was bunching up under the leather. I changed out the thread to what it had on it before, now it won't pick up the bobbin thread. You dont have to be a jerk about it....

WELCOME TO THE NET! Finest forum around for your needs.

Art, as ALMOST always, is right. Take it back and have it checked out by the people you bought it from. You see one piece broken....how many more just moved?

IF IT SEWED NICE BEFORE YOU DROPPED IT, AND NOW IT DOESN'T ...DUH?

I realized that it doesn't work because I dropped it. I am trying to figure out how to fix it. The guy I bought it from doesn't know anything about sewing machines, so that route is a dead end. It sewed fine after I dropped it, too. However I think because I used too big of thread for the needle that was on it, the thread was bunching up under the leather. I changed out the thread to what it had on it before, now it won't pick up the bobbin thread. You dont have to be a jerk about it....

Timing check, 101:

I suspect that the bunched up thread around the bobbin has thrown the timing off. The rotating shuttle is screwed onto its shaft with two machine screws. They have probably lost their good grip by the jammed thread. Clear out all thread from the bobbin area. Remove the throat cover plate, then rotate the wheel by hand until the needle goes all the way down, then starts to ascend. The rotating pickup point should pass dead center on the right side of the needle's scarf area, about 1/8inch, or slightly more above the actual eye. If the point passes the scarf and eye after the eye of the needle is above it, you need to loosen the shuttle retaing screws and back it up until it passes inside the scarf, above the eye. Do the reverse if the needle is too far back from the ascending needle.

It is also possible that the needle bar has moved vertically, but not as likely as the shuttle itself.

If you do find the shuttle needs timed, be sure to tighten down its screws as much as possible, by hand.

You dont have to be a jerk about it....

Sorry, my bad. Just a different sense of humor I guess. Not intended to be a jerk, just happens that way I guess.

Sorry