wrenchman

Miracle Molding Solution

I have recently run into a gentleman on DeviantArt that is doing amazing things molding leather. He has developed some kind of process that makes his leather so pliable and moldable that it acts like living flesh and cures almost rock hard. The results can be seen here: http://griffinleathe...t.com/#/d4c8d2t and here: http://griffinleathe...t.com/#/d4c8cy6 he said he used a vaccum table to form it, and that the original was placed under the leather. It is amazing the detail he has gotten to show through the leather with this process.

Another customer of my wifes molds pouchs and also uses some kind of miracle treatment to prepare his leather for molding. Both wish to keep their formulas secret and I respect that, but at the same time I wish to duplicate their results. My wifes customer gave her a clue in that he told her that everthing he uses are typical household products.

Anyone have any "secret" additives that make leather more pliable that fall into the "household items" catagory? Any help here is greatly appreciated.

I like to add a little Lexol and a teaspoon of bleach to warm water. The Lexol seems to soften the water, IMHO making the leather easier to work and the bleach stops any fungal growth. Always give the leather plenty of time to soak it up - let the bubbles stop before you start to apply any pressure. I find thinner leather is easier to work with.

Ray

A friend of mine uses a 1 to 3 mixture of ammonia and water to make her leather roses and vases stay rigid after forming. Not sure if that would give you the detail you want, but it does give the stiffness.

There is a technical term for it, . . . but it amounts to making the water "wetter" so to speak. It absorbs deeper into the leather or something.

Anyway, . . . it is about a heaping teaspoon of liquid soap into the "really good and warm" water, . . . and it is just like you said, . . . a vacuum forming process.

I bought my vacuum pump at Harbor Freight, . . . $100, . . . bought the vinyl at JoAnn's, . . . got a vacuum bag valve off the internet for $15, . . . folded the vinyl in half, . . . sealed the side edgers with Weldwood contact cement, . . . it works super for holsters.

I actually made one holster not too long ago for a 1911 Commander, . . . it was molded so tight that it would open both snaps and pull the holster out of my britches when I tried to draw the gun.

Needless to say, . . . we modified the holster, . . . I'm wearing it right now, . . . and we don't get that carried away any more.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thank you Dwight, I will try this. I have a vacuum pump from an old EGA machine (I'm a mechanic) My wife also thanks you (she is a Tandy manager herself) for the advice that will also help her customers.

There is a technical term for it, . . . but it amounts to making the water "wetter" so to speak. It absorbs deeper into the leather or something.

Anyway, . . . it is about a heaping teaspoon of liquid soap into the "really good and warm" water, . . . and it is just like you said, . . . a vacuum forming process.

I bought my vacuum pump at Harbor Freight, . . . $100, . . . bought the vinyl at JoAnn's, . . . got a vacuum bag valve off the internet for $15, . . . folded the vinyl in half, . . . sealed the side edgers with Weldwood contact cement, . . . it works super for holsters.

I actually made one holster not too long ago for a 1911 Commander, . . . it was molded so tight that it would open both snaps and pull the holster out of my britches when I tried to draw the gun.

Needless to say, . . . we modified the holster, . . . I'm wearing it right now, . . . and we don't get that carried away any more.

May God bless,

Dwight

The term is surfactant. Of which, glycerin (Found in soaps and detergents), is one. It reduces the surface tension of water to allow it to slip into smaller microscopic crevices. You can also just go to your local drug store and ask for liquid glycerin.

There's a plant I recently read about that produces drupes that they call soapnuts used for "green" laundry. It's supposed to be a very strong surfactant as well. You can buy them from a site called http://laundrytree.com/ (No affiliation) Worth a shot. If it doesn't make your leather more pliable you can always just use it to do your laundry. :)

The term is surfactant. Of which, glycerin (Found in soaps and detergents), is one. It reduces the surface tension of water to allow it to slip into smaller microscopic crevices. You can also just go to your local drug store and ask for liquid glycerin.

There's a plant I recently read about that produces drupes that they call soapnuts used for "green" laundry. It's supposed to be a very strong surfactant as well. You can buy them from a site called http://laundrytree.com/ (No affiliation) Worth a shot. If it doesn't make your leather more pliable you can always just use it to do your laundry. :)

Thanks, Jack, . . . I knew the process, . . . couldn't remember the word.

May God bless,

Dwight

May God bless,

Dwight

what size vacuum pump did you get?

what size vacuum pump did you get?

The tag says it is a 2.5 CFM.

At the store, they sell two models, . . . I decided to take a chance on the smaller, . . . not knowing one way or another, . . . and it is more than enough for my holsters.

May God bless,

Dwight

The tag says it is a 2.5 CFM.

At the store, they sell two models, . . . I decided to take a chance on the smaller, . . . not knowing one way or another, . . . and it is more than enough for my holsters.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks Dwight

I use a product called JetDry, find it at WalMart in the dish soap aisle

May God bless,

Dwight

What is the vinyl for if you bought a seperate vacuum bag? I first thought you weant you made your own vacuum bag then I was confused. And where did you find a vacuum bag for $15? All of the ones I have looked at that sound very durable are closer to $80. I already have the pump, but the bag cost has kept me from experimenting thus far.

What is the vinyl for if you bought a seperate vacuum bag? I first thought you weant you made your own vacuum bag then I was confused. And where did you find a vacuum bag for $15? All of the ones I have looked at that sound very durable are closer to $80. I already have the pump, but the bag cost has kept me from experimenting thus far.

The vinyl is to use to make the bag. Fold it in half like the drawing, . . . after you have a 2 inch wide path of weldwood contact cement down each long side. Their vinly I think was 45 inches wide, . . . I bought a 2/3 of a yard piece (24 inches wide) when the bag was folded and made, . . . it was basically a 23 by 24 bag.

The $15 was for the bag valve, . . .

I cannot tell you the number of times I've used mine, . . . no problems so far.

Forgot to tell you there is one problem, . . . getting the pump adapted to the hose for the bag can be a headache. I needed mine to turn 90 degrees off the pump and be able to come apart readily, . . . the brass fittings cost me more than the bag did.

Anyway, . . . make your bag, . . . have fun.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-49442400-1371171466_thumb.jp