I needed a good saddle that I could use until I can afford to buy a good quality new one. I found this saddle on eBay. It is supposedly a Wyeth. It needs some work but the saddle is solid. I'm trying to figure out how old it could be, what type of work it was meant for, etc. The tooling is rather simple and almost completely worn off in places. The stirrup length is adjusted by running leather strings through the holes. It's probably the widest seat I've ever sat on. The fleece was real wool and it is just completely worn out. It's gotten alot of use and there's some new leather on it. The saddle strings are new as are the conchos which I thought looked cheap so I took them off. The stirrup leather is new as well (the fenders seem original). I can lift up the jockey and see the tree under it...the tree isn't completely covered in rawhide. I'm just curious about this saddle so if you are good at this kind of identification please help! Thanks :)

saddle_2.jpg

saddle1.jpg

saddle4.jpg

post-6833-1213718488_thumb.jpg

post-6833-1213718505_thumb.jpg

post-6833-1213718517_thumb.jpg

P.S. If you can't tell from these pictures how old the saddle is, please let me know and I will post additional pictures of whatever you need. I may want to resell this saddle and I'd like to know how much it's worth before I make my decision. thank you so much!

I am not familiar with Wyeth saddles.

Howcevr a saddle with aluminum dees and a low cantle like that I would think late 50's to early 60'S. That is a guess. I would classify it as a cheaper saddle in its day( partially coverd tree and aluminun dees) and therefore not worth much now. Prices ( appraised value) for saddles are very subjective and different geographical locations will fetch different prices.

In my shop I would give it $300-400 price.

By the way it needs a connector strap between the front an back rigging

Wyeth Saddles were made in Saint Joseph Missouri, during the I think the 30's, 40's, 50's. The company I believe started as a hardware company, but branched out to saddles. I have repaired some in my shop because the Wyeth Family still lives around Saint Joseph. They made several different price range saddles. The National Cowboy Museam has one on display from the 101 ranch with silver, rubies and diamonds. I would agree with Andy they run around 100 to 400 here in Missouri.

Ashley

no sheepskin under the squirt?

there is sheepskin but it is seriously worn out. I was under the impression that Wyeth made a good quality saddle that is sought after today, according to what I could find on google. Anybody else has anything to add please let me know. Thank y'all so much for your help. I really do appreciate it and find it interesting.by the way. I know nothing about connector straps. How does it work and how would I go about putting one on. I actually don't have a flank cinch for this saddle.

The connector strap goes between the front and rear Dees. It then prevents the stirrup leather s from hanging up on the front rigging. It can be made from a one inch wide strap either laced in or riveted in.

look here