Stocksuspension

Sewing Sheepskin ?

]Can I sew sheepskin with a walking foot sewing machine? What I would like to sew someday is a jacket, like a ww2 b3 or so. So can a walking foot machine do such task or would I need another type of machine?

post-15598-025919400 1321250152_thumb.jp

Edited by Stocksuspension

A walking foot machine is what you need to sew these jackets. Get some natural colored thread for the bobbin and whatever color the outside of the jacket is for the top thread. 441 machines love these thick jobs. Blanket feet, with teeth, help feed sheepskin and such.

Thanks wiz. I've been budgeting for cobra class 4. Do you think that project is the range of a class 4. Correct me if I'm wrong but the cobra class 4 is a 441 variant correct?

Thanks wiz. I've been budgeting for cobra class 4. Do you think that project is the range of a class 4. Correct me if I'm wrong but the cobra class 4 is a 441 variant correct?

Yes, to both questions. Make sure you get the blanket feet and matching feed dog, all with teeth. Use that set to sew the sheepskin to the jacket. Normally, veg-tan leather is sewn using smooth bottom feet and a smooth top feed dog. In this case it won't matter and the teeth will give positive feeding of the combined thick, spongy materials.

Not trying to derail this thread, but does anyone know of a source for this type of leather. I'm looking for some for a variety of original designs.

A walking foot machine is what you need to sew these jackets. Get some natural colored thread for the bobbin and whatever color the outside of the jacket is for the top thread. 441 machines love these thick jobs. Blanket feet, with teeth, help feed sheepskin and such.

I'm also experimenting with sewing shearling sheepskin, though for slippers and winter boots, rather than jackets, if that makes any difference. I'm wondering about other machines that would be suitable for this work.

Firstly, could you elaborate a little on the 441? Is it a dual feed walking foot machine, or triple-compound feed? Is there anything less heavy-duty (in other words, less expensive!) that can handle these jobs comfortably? Some people have suggested the Pfaff 1222e, for example. Seems like a good machine, short of a real industrial, except for the notorious nylon gears!??

Any other ideas or suggestions would be appreciated, as far as machines or tips on working with shearling.

Thanks,

I know that cup-seamers are used on some fur and leather but can anyone enlighten me further? I am asking mostly because I have one to sell with no idea who is my target market!

post-20807-057036700 1325750303_thumb.jp

I'm also experimenting with sewing shearling sheepskin, though for slippers and winter boots, rather than jackets, if that makes any difference. I'm wondering about other machines that would be suitable for this work.

Firstly, could you elaborate a little on the 441? Is it a dual feed walking foot machine, or triple-compound feed? Is there anything less heavy-duty (in other words, less expensive!) that can handle these jobs comfortably? Some people have suggested the Pfaff 1222e, for example. Seems like a good machine, short of a real industrial, except for the notorious nylon gears!??

Any other ideas or suggestions would be appreciated, as far as machines or tips on working with shearling.

Thanks,

We deal with many customers who sew slippers, gloves and winter boots using a variety of furs. They typically use machines such as the Techsew 202 or Techsew 402 for sewing together fur pelts or sewing fur/sheepskin onto leather, suede and more.

Ron

I know that cup-seamers are used on some fur and leather but can anyone enlighten me further? I am asking mostly because I have one to sell with no idea who is my target market!

the only use for those machines i've ever seen were furriers sewing pelts or hides together. possibly moccasins?

I was fairly sure I was asking that question in the right thread :)

Sorry for bring up a old thread, but I am going to try making some sheepskin gloves for my Father, since I stole and lost his many moons ago. He will smile when I tell him a have found the missing glove and give him the new pair that I made.

I have a Durkopp 241, which I think has triple feed? I believe it shares many parts with the Singer 111w.

I can find domestic blanket feet but nothing for industrial or for singer 111w. Will feet for welting be ok?

i the people above follow the advice and how was the experience? Does it look professional? I daren't hand over anything that looks amateur to my Dad.

Cheers

Alex