I am making a belt, I assume its called a gun belt I plan to use it while wearing an avenger holster. Its 2 layers of 8/9 H&O leather. 1.5 inches wide, maybe 1.25 so it fits more pants, I'm not sure yet.

Questions. Should I glue the two sides together before I tool the outside?

How far back from the buckle fold and the billet should I skive it down to one thickness? Should I skive it down? I cant see it being easy to cinch if its that thick.

I have heard that I need to add 2 inches to the length in order to account for the extra thickness. Is this correct?

Any other advice is welcome.

Thanks

Michael

I'm interested in this as well, as I want to start making belts. I have made 4 gun belts. 3 of them have been stitched by hand. The latest one is by machine. I am almost done with it. I just need to punch the holes and it will be done. It was lots quicker. I don't skive the leather, mostly because I don't know how. I run the bottom piece almost up to the buckle fold. I border stamped 3 of them and did that before I glued them together.

I'm still trying to figure out the thickness, but maybe two pieces of 8/9 oz might be too thick for some holsters. Most that I have seen have been about 1/4 inch in thickness when done.

I know I didn't answer all your questions, because I have some of the same ones you do.

Do your stamping first.

The stamping might cause the leather to 'flow' a bit (aka stretch). When you get done with the stamping, re-check the width and length. There's also the chance of your stamp bouncing and causing a shadow / double strike if you don't have the leather on a good solid surface. If the leather is doubled, you might see that bounce if you're doing a lot of tooling.

From 1st hand experience, if you're making a thick belt, make it a bit skinnier - 1.25 should be fine. I've made a double layer belt at 1.5 and it wouldn't fit some of the customer's belt loops.

If you don't have a spitter, consider tapering (with a skiver) the buckle end of the liner and ending it about 2 inches before you get to the fold and run a single layer there. Trying to fold 16-18oz of leather is .....interesting......but it makes quite a lump at the buckle. If you don't taper/split it, and run a double layer all the way through the buckle, you'll end up with 32-36 / 64ths right behind the buckle. That's half an inch thick. Add the tongue of the belt after it goes through the buckle and lays under the keeper, you'll have nearly 3/4" of leather stacked to the side of the buckle.

If you can, get an oval hole punch to make the holes; it's a little easier to buckle, and it lays down better.

As far as how big to make it.....put your CCW on with your CURRENT belt, and adjust it to fit correctly. Then measure the belt you're wearing to the hole you're using. You know that leather stretches, and belts tend to stretch and curve with time. Measuring as described is the most accurate way to ensure a proper fit. Once you have the measurement, and the hole, all you have to do is decide on how many holes on either side you want to punch.

Do your stamping first.

The stamping might cause the leather to 'flow' a bit (aka stretch). When you get done with the stamping, re-check the width and length. There's also the chance of your stamp bouncing and causing a shadow / double strike if you don't have the leather on a good solid surface. If the leather is doubled, you might see that bounce if you're doing a lot of tooling.

From 1st hand experience, if you're making a thick belt, make it a bit skinnier - 1.25 should be fine. I've made a double layer belt at 1.5 and it wouldn't fit some of the customer's belt loops.

If you don't have a spitter, consider tapering (with a skiver) the buckle end of the liner and ending it about 2 inches before you get to the fold and run a single layer there. Trying to fold 16-18oz of leather is .....interesting......but it makes quite a lump at the buckle. If you don't taper/split it, and run a double layer all the way through the buckle, you'll end up with 32-36 / 64ths right behind the buckle. That's half an inch thick. Add the tongue of the belt after it goes through the buckle and lays under the keeper, you'll have nearly 3/4" of leather stacked to the side of the buckle.

If you can, get an oval hole punch to make the holes; it's a little easier to buckle, and it lays down better.

As far as how big to make it.....put your CCW on with your CURRENT belt, and adjust it to fit correctly. Then measure the belt you're wearing to the hole you're using. You know that leather stretches, and belts tend to stretch and curve with time. Measuring as described is the most accurate way to ensure a proper fit. Once you have the measurement, and the hole, all you have to do is decide on how many holes on either side you want to punch.

Thanks Mike, as always you are there with the answers. I figured the skiving was needed but its better to ask and be sure. The stamping I would have done wrong. Your response makes perfect sense. My stamp area is a 1.5 inch thick granite slap over the table leg. I can see it bouncing just as you described it.

I read somewhere here about adding 2 inches to the length if using a gun belt thickness. I wasn't sure so I asked. I finished a normal tooled belt today, well finished except for the sewing, and I hit the center hole dead on. Amazing how that works when I follow directions. :yes:

Thanks for all you help

Michael

I'm interested in this as well, as I want to start making belts. I have made 4 gun belts. 3 of them have been stitched by hand. The latest one is by machine. I am almost done with it. I just need to punch the holes and it will be done. It was lots quicker. I don't skive the leather, mostly because I don't know how. I run the bottom piece almost up to the buckle fold. I border stamped 3 of them and did that before I glued them together.

I'm still trying to figure out the thickness, but maybe two pieces of 8/9 oz might be too thick for some holsters. Most that I have seen have been about 1/4 inch in thickness when done.

I know I didn't answer all your questions, because I have some of the same ones you do.

Two Pieces of 8/9 comes out to 1/4 inch. Its a great thickness for a gun belt. I make sure that all the holsters I make. (all 4 so far) will fit a 1/4 inch thick belt.

Michael

8/9 is a little thick for an everyday gun belt. I personally feel 6/7 is good for a gun belt. A 14oz Double layer comes in at just under 1/4 inch and will hold any gun I will carry. My current daily gun belt is two layers of 7/8 HO and I will be changing it out soon to a double layer 6/7 for my self.