Thong

Need Some Guidance On Topcoat

Greetings all,

I have finished(almost) some sheaths for some knives that I've made. Now I'm faced with what to use for topcoat. I have onhand Tandy's Super Shene, Fiebing's Leather Balm w/Atomic Wax, Tandy's Neatsfoot, and of course good ole' Johnson's Past Wax. Which of these would be the best?

Thong, . . . put wax on it if you are going to put it in a display case.

If you are going to use it, . . . again I say USE it, . . . try either Bag Kote, . . . or Resolene.

Bag Kote is diluted 25 % (an 80 / 20 mixture, . . . 20 being tap water) and will produce a good protective finish that is somewhat soft.

Resolene is diluted to a 50 / 50 mixture with tap water. It produces a hard finish that also has UV protection built in.

Both finishes are water based products.

I disremember who it is, . . . but one of the regulars on here swears by Mop & Glo, . . . they'll need to chime in with all the particulars for it.

May God bless,

Dwight

Katsass touted Mop-n-glo some while back, applied best by spray in a 50/50 mix. I tried it and haven't opened my bottle of resolene in several months. It's best applied with an airbrush, just misting it on in layers. It's thin enough that it penetrates the leather a bit and dries quickly. I typically apply two light coats, altering the direction of spray to assure even coverage. After both coats have dried (minutes not hours) I heat the leather a bit and apply neutral shoe polish. Let that dry, then buff. Fantastic results and NO COMEBACKS because of it.

I HAVE applied it by brush/swab and it works 'okay' but I find that because the mix is so thin it's easier to OVER apply it, which could lead to a bit of cracking if it's too thick. A paper towel dipped in the solution and quickly wiped on left a good result, but if you're going not going to spray the finish, I think a slightly thinner mix and dipping might work.

Hi there.

Just to be 100% clear (and so I am not trying to do something silly to my project) are you talking about "Mop & Glo 3in1 Floor Shine Cleaner" (gives you the beautiful floor you deserve in one quick and convenient step)? :)

Hi there.

Just to be 100% clear (and so I am not trying to do something silly to my project) are you talking about "Mop & Glo 3in1 Floor Shine Cleaner" (gives you the beautiful floor you deserve in one quick and convenient step)? :)

FWIW from the grump; Sounds crazy doesn't it? I ran out of one of the old 'sheen' products a loooong time ago and was searching for a reasonable alternative. Found Ma's Mop and Glo floor stuff and read what it was --- basically the same as the 'sheen' product! --- an acrylic polish. A little playing with it and now I've been using it for at least 40 years, and most likely more --- not sure exactly when I started using it.. As said, 50/50 with water, apply in a mist, allow to dry and hit with a LIGHT coat of neutral Kiwi polish.. Too heavy a coat of Kiwi may show stress marks from some flexing, so I have always just used my fingers to rub small amounts into the surface of my project and buff with a soft cloth. One person reports that he uses a cheap household pump sprayer with great results, and for any drips he just wipes them with a soft rag before they dry. Mike

Good info. Thanks for the quick answer Mike...and yes, it does sound crazy. I'll try to hunt some down here in Canada and give it a go, practicing on some small pieces until I know I have it right. Maybe it's readily available here, just nothing jumping out on the web from a Canadian store.

Clark

Good info. Thanks for the quick answer Mike...and yes, it does sound crazy. I'll try to hunt some down here in Canada and give it a go, practicing on some small pieces until I know I have it right. Maybe it's readily available here, just nothing jumping out on the web from a Canadian store.

Clark

One other sideline to the Mop & Glo is that when you realize how much is in a jug of the stuff, then look at the price of the Super Sheen and how much you get of IT, the cost difference is really surprising --- and you can use the Mop & Glo on your floors too. If you use any kind of sprayer, just run some clear water through it to clean. Mike

Edited by katsass