esantoro

Use of a dremel for burnishing

I'm in he process of making some wood burnishers for the Dremel. Could you post pics of the attachment you use?

By the way, anyone interested in going in on an order of 15 pcs of 30" cocobolo turning squares, 1.5" x 1.5", $150?

Ed

The F7 grade felt is better than craft polyester felt for applying dyes and finishes. The F1 grade corded felt is softer than the felt used on the polishing wheels for the Dremel. This may be a plus, as there is less of a chance for the felt to burn the leather at higher RPMs.The screw for the mandrel used for the Dremel felt polishing wheel is for a felt wheel that is 1/4" thick. I need to find a screw that is twice as long to accommodate a 1/2" thick wheel. I'm happy with the prospects and will report any updates.Ed

For the longer mandrel screws I ended up getting 3mm metric machine screws of lengths from 20mm to 50mm.Just a redundant reminder. I do really like having this F1 corded felt option for dremel burnishing. It comes in handy for certain intricate situations. Ed

Edited by esantoro

Just found this burnisher on Ebay. It's a larger version of what I've done with the dremel.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fantastic-Leather-Edge...id=p3911.c0.m14

If this link doesn't work, search on Ebay for "fantastic leather edge burnisher"

I'm bringing more attention to this burnishing wheel from Ivan Sampson, as I think it may be an excellent tool. Ivan says it works much better than exotic wheels do, though I'm still looking forward to having the wood too.

Ivan called me the other day to tell me that he is currently selling this burnishing wheel attached to a 1/8 hp motor, which you would have to bolt down yourself to a 1 sq. ft plywood board that can be clamped to your work area for use and then stored away. All for about $80. It would be nice to make a little portable case for the whole thing.

Ed

It seems that every day I grow increasingly more dependent on my Dremel, as I find more tasks for it to do. Are there some brushes or bushings that I should have on hand for normal maintenance and repair?

Ed

I was doing some burnishing by hand with the f7 grade felt, 1/4" thick. it works very well with just beeswax. First time I've tried this and was very surprised.

ed

I was doing some burnishing by hand with the f7 grade felt, 1/4" thick. it works very well with just beeswax. First time I've tried this and was very surprised.

ed

I was over at Rockler yesterday and picked up a 20 pack of some extremely fine grit sponges for both my wood and leatherwork. I also spotted a couple of items that I thought I might test out. They had a 1" thick block of very firm felt maybe 5" long by 1 1/2" wide. I grabbed that and then I spotted a similar block of cork and grabbed that. I used two 25% off coupons that I had to treim the pretty ridiculous price on each of these.

Anyhoo... I took a piece of veg tan strap, wet the edge, and corked it with a firm unidirectional, moderate pressure rub. I got a very nice burnish out of it! The cork block was surprisingly unaffected by the burnishing pressure. It felt good in the hand because that block is pretty easy to grip and use. I didn't have time to test out the felt yet.

I don't see either of these as a replacement for a powered rotary burnisher. I am getting ready to test out Ivan's burnisher and I am hoping that it is all that he says it is. I will let you know my impressions once I try it out. I can't run it on my buffer because he says that the speed is too high. So I have to fabricate an adapter to run it on my drill press. I bought a long 1/2" hex bolt yesterday with a long section of non-theaded round stock. I will cut off the head and the threads with my Dremel tool and a diamond cutting wheel (hopefully!). And then use the drill press to test out the burnisher.

I have to wait for a replacement burnisher because there was a problem with the initial one I received. Ivan is taking care of the problem with a smile! Good man! If his burnisher works out, I will buy the special motor and use that rig for production. The package looks like a great deal and I am impressed with what I have seen so far.

But it never hurts to have many ways of doing the same thing!!

:Lighten::Lighten::Lighten:

I've been watching the threads on making burnishers. Today I made my own with some felt I had and a bolt with washers. I use it in my drill press. It' works pretty well! I designed it after the one I saw on ebay for sale.

Art

Burnisher.jpg

post-195-1225691546_thumb.jpg

I bought the burnisher and motor from Ivan. He convinced me that this thing is the greatest deal since sliced bread! I have a nice MDF base cut to afix the motor too and clamp to my surface plate. So as soon as it comes in I will let you know how it performs!!

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

i am also very new at this. I was wondering if using a router mounted in a portable table work letting me use both hands on the work?

i am also very new at this. I was wondering if using a router mounted in a portable table work letting me use both hands on the work?

Unless you have full control over the speed of the spindle, I'd say that a router wouldn't be a good choice. I know they tend to have rather high RPMs and you'd more than likely end up burning your edges. At the speeds a typical router spins, there is only a fraction of a second between 'smooth & shiny' and 'burnt to hell.' A drill press, and to some extent rotary tools, allow for lower RPMs, so they are more forgiving in that department.

I have heard of people scavenging the motor and speed controller from old treadmills to repurpose them in some way. They are usually cheap or free, have a decent amount of torque, and all you'd need to do is relocate the necessary bits into a new housing so you can make it do your bidding. That is, if you are up to making a dedicated burnishing station for you workshop/garage and you are willing to tear into old exercise equipment that you found on the side of the road someplace.

Just a thought...

Good think'n shtoink,i also was thinking of using an old singer sewing machine motor and having some wood wheels made up.you got me thinking with the old treadmill motors and controllers would they be strong enough and fast and slow enough for sewing with my singer 45k25.??? Thinking thinking thinking.

I have limited knowledge but this discussion made me think about using the plastic wheel that I got from Tandy. I got an arbor from Harbor Freight. I attached the wheel to the arbor then used it in my drill press at a slow speed. It seems to work. Any thoughts?

I have limited knowledge but this discussion made me think about using the plastic wheel that I got from Tandy. I got an arbor from Harbor Freight. I attached the wheel to the arbor then used it in my drill press at a slow speed. It seems to work. Any thoughts?

You might've even done something like this...

It's worth mentioning that the head from that bolt was removed shortly after those pictures were taken so that it didn't present any issues when chucked in the drill, though.

It shows to go you that there is nothing new under the sun.

Good think'n shtoink,i also was thinking of using an old singer sewing machine motor and having some wood wheels made up.you got me thinking with the old treadmill motors and controllers would they be strong enough and fast and slow enough for sewing with my singer 45k25.??? Thinking thinking thinking.

While digging about internets in non-leather related places, I ran across some other folks discussing DC motor controller plans that are meant for working with those treadmill motors. It seems that these guys talk about couple different plans, but felt it was all worth adding to this thread since it was related.

As has already been mentioned, the Foredom is really a must have tool for so many kinds of work. They mount up out of the way with a flex shaft and a grip in which whatever tool can be chucked. Speed is variable and controlled by a foot pedal. I do many things with it including burnishing. A hardwood shaped wheel and your secret sauce for finishing. The leatherburnisher guys make some beauties out of Cocobola. Best deals I've seen on Foredoms have been at Otto Frei and sometimes at Rio Grande supply in Albuquerque. Actually there are a number of excellent jewelers' tools (like for silversmiths) that work perfectly on leather.

Robert