Sign in to follow this  
mrfixit

1St Holster

Photo of my "first completed" holster.

The actual first one I started, the dye came out way too dark, so it still sits as a flat piece of leather on the bench.

The second i finished. I worked the dye problem out, but the belt slots were way to large, and the fit was horrible.

I know this one needs improvement, but here it is:

3.jpg

1.jpg

I'm looking for feedback and advice.

Mr Fixit

Looks pretty darn good to me. The only area of concern is the stitch line around the trigger guard. Should be up a little closer to the trigger guard. With time yours may allow the pistol to seat too deep. You could always put a screw in the area and claim it is a retention screw.

Check out the post that Denster made about patterns. Follow his guide lines and the next holster will be perfect.

I like the color. Looks perfect to me. Molding looks good. Geez. Hard to believe this is your first holster.

Photo of my "first completed" holster.

The actual first one I started, the dye came out way too dark, so it still sits as a flat piece of leather on the bench.

The second i finished. I worked the dye problem out, but the belt slots were way to large, and the fit was horrible.

I know this one needs improvement, but here it is:

3.jpg

1.jpg

I'm looking for feedback and advice.

Mr Fixit

From the grumpy old guy; Overall, it looks damned good for your first. As Haystacker says, that stitch line needs to improve, but, so does your overall stitching. Remember that good stitching takes time, effort and concentration. Each single stitch must be done exactly --- in every way --- as the one that precedes it. JMHO Mike

Thanks gentlemen.

I appreciate the feed back, and agree that the stitching needs improvement. Since I'm making these for me, for various handguns, I can practice as much as I can afford. I do intend to look seriously at my stitching. I also made a big goof on the stamping. I stamped the wrong side of the stitch line.

I've been wearing this one on duty to get an idea how it fits the belt and judging angles and such. I like it. But, I would like it to look better. So I guess I'll have to make another and refine it a bit.

I have been working on my own version of that HF1 style holster for a while and tweak my pattern every time I start building. If this is only your third holster, your ahead of the curve. Well, ahead of where I was on my third anyway. I can't add anything more than what's already been said. Katsass preaches stitching all the time.... and he is right. Not just practicing but practicing to make every stitch perfect. The Stohlman book and reading the "grumpy old man's" feedback on folks work sure encouraged me to get it right.

Pretty darn good for your first complete holster.

All the feedback above is good on the stitching. It's hard to tell from the pics, but the edges look not quite slick. If they are then you can ignore this, but here it goes. The edges, like the stitching, takes time and attention. I personally use a wood file to rough shape the edges, then go to 220 sandpaper, then 320 sandpaper, dye and burnish. Then after the holster is formed (molded) I check the edges again and if needed I touch up with 600 grit sandpaper, redye and burnish again. This makes for some pretty hard edges and makes them very slick. I also then finish the edges with beeswax. My .02

Again, Good Job on your first complete holster. I am pretty certain mine was no where near anything as accomplished as that.

Way better than any of mine. Good job.