Sign in to follow this  
Zonker

Advise Needed For Getting A Certain Shape

Good morn friends, I am having a hard time figuring out the best way to get a certain shape on a hat brim. What I am trying to do is get the look on of the John Bull type tophats where the brim does the curve from front to back(I can do that easy enough that shape is in the crown and just stitch to it) but the edge of the brim gets rolled up in almost a half pipe(perhaps 3/8) but is in the first pic I am posting. I am thinking of possibly cutting a wooden form with the cnc machine but would then have to do one for each size I want to do. I was able to roll it a little on one I did for my daughter but couldnt figure out a way to attach it so it could dry good with a real good roll. Do I need to use a wire for it? Do I need to dry some 5-8 lb in a crescent then stitch it in where it cant be seen? How would you all do this? The other pics are the one I made for my daughter

post-20394-046727100 1323618625_thumb.jp

post-20394-042281800 1323618894_thumb.jp

post-20394-014787900 1323618928_thumb.jp

Just a thought but you might be able to use rope or round foam weather stripping to get the shape you need, just clip it in place until it dries to the shape.

Thank you Tree Reaper. Hmm I am wondering if I could get stick on velcro to work instead of clipping. Hmm..

Maybe you can also use thin PVC tubing so you can get the rigidity for forming, with both the side-to-side and fore-and-aft curves? PVC can be shaped very carefully over a heat source (it CAN burn, and the fumes are nasty--shaping PVC is best done outside over a fixed source and while wearing heat resistant gloves, and maybe a respirator). But once warmed and shaped, it will hold that shape once cool. I use heat-bent PVC for support structures for conclave pennants and for round and oval wallhangings.

I have worked with pvc shaping it before and that has possibilities. Slots could be cut in the pvc and tabs in the brim to fit in them then trimmed after drying. Very cool idea. Thanks a lot!

Anytime. I'd be curious to see the PVC form when you are done with it though.

felt hats are done with 'blocks' maybe try doing some reading on how else the felt hat people shape theirs when they don't have blocks available?

http://melbournehatblocks.com.au/products.php?c=2

http://www.hatblocksbydesign.com.au/products

http://www.hatblocks.co.uk/brimblocks.html#Tunedupbrims

Natalie

Edited by Ladykahu

Thank you Tree Reaper. Hmm I am wondering if I could get stick on velcro to work instead of clipping. Hmm..

Hey Zonker?

Have you considered using hot roller clips? http://www.folica.com/tools/butterfly-hair-clips/conairpro-pro-clips I bet they would work nicely and already have a rounded shape. If you want, you could glue some leather inside the clips to protect your work.

I use these a lot when I need to make sure a garment doesn't get in the way of the hoop when machine embroidering. Best $10 I've ever spent.