Kcinnick

Stitches Per Inch On Gun Belts

I haven't standardized a product yet to advertise, but I have produced belts using different stitches and the most popular is the tightest stitch I ran with is 8 stitches per inch using 277 thread. My machine pulls this stitch real tight and it looks nice and uniform, but am I weakening the leather with stitches that close together with 277 thread.

Thanks

I haven't standardized a product yet to advertise, but I have produced belts using different stitches and the most popular is the tightest stitch I ran with is 8 stitches per inch using 277 thread. My machine pulls this stitch real tight and it looks nice and uniform, but am I weakening the leather with stitches that close together with 277 thread.

Thanks

FWIW from the old grump; these are the style of gunbelt I primarily make. All are hand stitched @ 6 stitches per inch, the same as on the holsters. 7 cord waxed linen thread is used. Mike

001-14.jpg

Edited by katsass

I do 6 spi on the belts, same as I did when I hand-stitched everything.

For the keepers I do 8 spi.

misc147-1.jpg

I do 6 spi on the belts, same as I did when I hand-stitched everything.

For the keepers I do 8 spi.

misc147-1.jpg

My stitch looks just like the one on your keepers, and everyone loves it. I just don't want to weaken the leather and have problems in the future.

I do plan to try a rig like Katsass posted and something with 12 gauge shotgun shells loops to draw attention that I would probably extend the stitch to 6 per.

That nasty old Tippmann Boss of mine does something between 4.5 and 6 SPI, . . . depending on how she feels on a given day.

They all work for me.

May God bless,

Dwight

FWIW from the old grump; these are the style of gunbelt I primarily make. All are hand stitched @ 6 stitches per inch, the same as on the holsters. 7 cord waxed linen thread is used. Mike

001-14.jpg

What size awl or hole do you use for that thread?

What size awl or hole do you use for that thread?

I use an old Osborne awl that has a blade a little less than 1/8" wide and about 1 1/4" long. Here's a closer pic of the same rig. Mike

003-6.jpg