TomG

Covering A Ring

I need to simply wrap a steel or brass ring with a layer of lace. I have played with a couple of ideas, and since I need it wo be smooth, I would like to just wrap it.

However, I can not figure out how to secure the start and finsh ends so that it does not unravel. I need ti as tight a wrap as possible. It will have a lot of rubbing - it's going on a dog collar for a dog that is metal sensitive.

Thanks

Tom

I need to simply wrap a steel or brass ring with a layer of lace. I have played with a couple of ideas, and since I need it wo be smooth, I would like to just wrap it.

However, I can not figure out how to secure the start and finsh ends so that it does not unravel. I need ti as tight a wrap as possible. It will have a lot of rubbing - it's going on a dog collar for a dog that is metal sensitive.

Thanks

Tom

Just do a double loop Lace on it...

Not sure what that is.. I'll do some searching tomorrow.

thanks

I dont really think just wrapping will work...not on a collar ring. There are a number of braids used to cover rings that will do the trick...I have done this before so know that it will work, if you braid tight.

Thanks Tracy,

Can you name a few so I can look them up?

Tom

My friend Bud called his grommet and top braid grommet. Here's the tutorial on it. See if this will work for you.

Grommet Tutorial - Starting and braiding it

Top Braid Grommet Instructions - Closing it up

B...

Edited by KnotHead

Hi. You can try and this method.

post-10628-047024300 1324217483_thumb.jp

Here is another way. I tried once and I couldn't finish it properly so it is not very easy but you might want to try it. It is called the substitution method. First you have to cover the ring with a round braiding. Do a 6, 8 or 12 thongs braiding over the ring. You have to tie the beginning of the thongs tightly and braid until you are starting to cover the beginning of your braid. Tie the end of the thongs and cut them. Now is when the substitution starts. Get a very long thong and start replacing the ones in the braid one by one until all the thongs in the original braiding is removed.

It is not easy but a great idea.

Good luck

Enrique