Sign in to follow this  
mattsh

Knife Sheath For Custom Blade

I don't typically make sheaths, but as of late those are the requests I have been getting. This is the first sheath or anything that I have stamped since I was in Jr High shop class about 25 years.

This is for a custom knife made by J. Behring Jr. out of Montana. The knife is similar in style to the Scagel design. It's about a 4 inch blade.

Here are the pics. Thanks for looking any comments or suggestions welcome. Pics are from my cell phone, so they are not as sharp as I would like.

post-5907-074376400 1324233566_thumb.jpg post-5907-033548300 1324233584_thumb.jpg post-5907-031729900 1324233606_thumb.jpg post-5907-084769400 1324233640_thumb.jpg post-5907-061826600 1324233658_thumb.jpg

Hi

I guess is clear and tidy work. Hope blade space is sufficiently close-fitting.....for better function of safety strap on this position

Martin

Very nice work. I would have put the safety strap on the other side. While it may hold for now, it may not hold well after a few thousand hours of wear. It also looks like you may have cut slit belt loops without punching a small hole as a stop to the leather tearing, but it could just be the picture doesn't show it. I like the way you flowed the sheath into the belt loops. It really brings out the shape of the knife.

Looks sharp! ;)

@Mr Martin and Mr Peter -

I understand your concerns around the safety strap. I debated for quite some time on how to put a safety strap on this sheath. I have had many sheaths with the safety strap on the edge side of the knife and it annoys me to have the edge rub against the safety strap and put little cuts in it. I wanted something to hold the blade in without interfering with drawing the knife out or placing it back in the sheath. What I did and maybe its not showing in the pictures well enough but I cut the back piece that forms the belt slots along the curvature of the bolster and handle so that the safety strap actually wraps around the handle and the bolster putting pressure on it when it is snapped over the stud. Also, to help in this I wet formed the sheath to the blade and the welt is only as thick as the spine. In the end the blade almost snaps into place when it is seated all the way into the sheath. Time will tell if it holds up, but at this time the blade fits very snug in the sheath. As for the belt slots, you are correct, I did not punch a hole at the end of the cuts, I didn't have a punch small enough. I wet formed the belt slots in hopes that it will prevent any tearing.Thank you both for your comments and accolades!

@Sixer - thanks!