jkeller831

Help Finding A Riviet

I am Looking for a brass dome head solid riviet with burr that has a head diameter of 3/16". I need it to be polished brass or mabey brass plated copper. I am having alot of trouble finding this. It will be used to attach nameplates to belts. Any suggestions or ideas would be great. Thanks. The rivets in the pictures is what I am looking for.

post-21622-080575000 1324495549_thumb.pn

post-21622-019761900 1324495655_thumb.pn

Edited by jkeller831

Try http://www.rjleahy.com That's where I get my solid brass flats from. If they don't advertise having burs for the particular rivet you want, ask for a flat washer that will fit. That's what they do for me. Very easy to work with and the price is right. You have to buy a pound though.

Brass escutcheon pins is what they sometimes use to install name plates.

Tree Reaper is right, brass escutcheon pins are what you are looking for. They are kind of hard to set, so practice first or you will beat the heck out of the plate. I just put a pilot hole in the leather or even just drive the pin through the leather so that it is held tight. If it is loose, it will bounce around and never set right.

I do this a lot and I usually use a copper rivet from the back and the plate is the burr. I think it looks cleaner and is easier. I use #12 rivets unless the holes in the plate are too big, then I'll use #9. Whoops, it depends on the size of the holes in the plate, on small plates I use # 14. I set it with the setter and give it one little tap with the hammer to flatten the top a little.

If you use the brass pins, the head is against the anvil and gets scratched up.

I then use a rubber mallet and bend the plates a little to con form to the person's waist, just buckle the belt and you'll see how much to bend them and it's easier to unbend them than it is for the person to bend them.

Good Luck,

Kevin

Great advice. Thank you! I will try this and see how it turns out. Thanks again!

You really don't need the burr if you reverse the process.. Put the rivet through from the back side and then use the name plate for the burr. If you are careful using the setting tool you can get a perfect dome. Use a piece of scrap leather over the name plate when doing this to prevent scratching the finish. I've used this process for years on belts and sale halters with name plates. It holds better and looks neater from the front and back. practice makes perfect.

Blake

I use Weaver for my dome head rivets in brass and copper in assorted sizes.

Good luck, I think you can find what you want at Weaver's. I have purchased several different sizes from there to include brass dome head rivets for installing name plates on saddles.

I am Looking for a brass dome head solid riviet with burr that has a head diameter of 3/16". I need it to be polished brass or mabey brass plated copper. I am having alot of trouble finding this. It will be used to attach nameplates to belts. Any suggestions or ideas would be great. Thanks. The rivets in the pictures is what I am looking for.