Rayban

Tell Me What I Have Here?

My wife's aunt found this in a house she just moved out of in Fla.....she can't share any info about where it came from except it"s been "stored up for a loooooong time, at least 40 years".

It looks like crock to me....maybe lizzard?? I don't know. I've seen embossed crock at Tandy and it of course lays flat....this is pretty curly/wavy...about 34" long and 9" at it's widest point.

I plan to do something with it, haven't figured out what yet.....just wondered what I have here......

Watcha think?

post-4803-094543800 1324935821_thumb.jpg

post-4803-036800200 1324935853_thumb.jpg

My wife's aunt found this in a house she just moved out of in Fla.....she can't share any info about where it came from except it"s been "stored up for a loooooong time, at least 40 years".

It looks like crock to me....maybe lizzard?? I don't know. I've seen embossed crock at Tandy and it of course lays flat....this is pretty curly/wavy...about 34" long and 9" at it's widest point.

I plan to do something with it, haven't figured out what yet.....just wondered what I have here......

Watcha think?

Looks like Sea Turtle to me..........

Looks like a caiman belly/legs to me. Turtle has thicker, more irregular scales.

Watcha think?

I'm not an expert on this at all. But I'd guess that's a strip across the belly of a gator. Don't think it's caiman because the scales are smooth. Are there bony plates in the skin? If so, then it's not gator. Sea turtle is an interesting thought, but I think the scales are more irregular on sea turtle.

tk

No boney plates in the skin.....thanks for all who commented.

I still haven't decided what to do with it...guess it's time to venture into the world of inlays....hate to mess up a perfectly good skin though.....

I'm not an expert on this at all. But I'd guess that's a strip across the belly of a gator. Don't think it's caiman because the scales are smooth. Are there bony plates in the skin? If so, then it's not gator. Sea turtle is an interesting thought, but I think the scales are more irregular on sea turtle.

tk

Ray, I'd have to vote with Malabar on this one. It looks like A Gator belly cross section between the legs.

Paul

G'Day,

It certainly is in great condition after 40 years.

But it does look like croc or gator.

I hope you post a pic of what you make with it .:)

HS

G'Day,

It certainly is in great condition after 40 years.

But it does look like croc or gator.

I hope you post a pic of what you make with it .:)

HS

I will.