Sign in to follow this  
mulefool

spots

A customer sent me a pair of spur straps to duplicate. They have very small (maybe 1/8) spots. Rather than having prongs the spots appear to have a cap on the back for fastening. I like the idea but haven't been able to find any. has anyone else used these, or know of a supplier? thanks

I have an idea that what you might be looking for is the CAP FOR TUBLAR RIVETS.

weavers or o t b....will have them

You might try Tim O'Hara at Timco. I don't have his contact info with me right now, but if he doesn't have them, he might steer you to them. I have seen them on dog collars too, so somebody is making them. I would bet that they set easier with a post rather than the prongs for their small size.

Timco might be a good possibility. I'll check that out. thanks Bruce. I know they aren't tubular rivet caps. I far as I know Weaver just carries the regular spots. But OTB might be another good possibility. Thanks!

Hi there - in my "show" world, lots of straps have 3/16" "dots" that have the prongs on the back. I was just in tandy leather the other day and they have 1/4" domed quick rivets - I think that this is what you are asking about? The quick rivets have a plat on the back, and the rivet face on the front - much more finished look- the only problem that I find is what is popular right now on most tack and show tack are 3/16" - 1/4" are too large.

Hope that helps

Yeah, I found them too, but they were too big. I ended up using regular spots with the prongs. And I put them on before lining so the prongs didn't show.

Yeah, I found them too, but they were too big. I ended up using regular spots with the prongs. And I put them on before lining so the prongs didn't show.

can I ask - how did you end up putting them on through thick leather? I have tried almost everything that I can think of (for the 3/16" spots) and can't get them set, and can not afford to get a spot setter (machine) right now, and the hand spot setters that I can find are all 1/4"? thanks for sharing