7thhorsesoldier

First Saddle Help

Hey all! Hope I'm posting this in the right area. So here's the deal, I've been goofing around with making leather belts, saber belts, simple saddle repairs, ECT. And now I want to try making a saddle. After looking around I decided to try making a Mexican half seat saddle. I wanted to make a M1859 McClellan but couldn't find a tree. So I just need some advice and tips since this is my first saddle. Here's my list of questions:

1. Where can I get good Harness leather?

2. What tools wilI I need? ( I lack a sewing machine)

3. Patterns?

I'm sure there are MANY more questions I'll be asking that those three. I'm not going to put conchos or tooling on because that's pretty well over my head. So it'll be a plain saddle, but it's a start. I'll keep you posted and I start building it. Thank yall for your help. Chris Clark

Hi Chris, if i was you i'd get the Al Stholman saddle books that Tandy sells and read them first. You need skirting leather instead of harness leather for your saddle. Their several places to get your leather from the first two that popped in my were Wickett and Craig and Waterhouse leather both on the net. The books will tell ya what tools you'll need and how to make your patterns.Read the saddle making post on here and you get several good tips and advice for free.

Edited by dirtclod

Hi there!

Same as stated above :

Al Stohlman books are a good 1st to check (regarding leather, tools, tips, patterns and how to)

then i would add : check on that forum : a lot of infos too

and 1 advise : stay cool and take your time ;)

Hi same here.

Get all 3 books, The Stohlman Encyclopedia of Saddle Making, volume I, II & III. they even make a good reference for repairs

Stohlman is very detailed in telling you how to make the saddle and the tools he uses.

Hello Chris, prepared to accept some mistakes and wasted a bit of leather. I'm finishing my second seat, and I'm learning from my mistakes.

However to make a saddle is a great satisfaction.

Good luck

Gianni

Edited by GianniWest

Which books are better? The Stohlman ones or would the one by Dusty Johnson help me more?

Thanks,

Tom

Thanks! I really appreciate it. I'll take a look....... Thanks, again

I have the Stohlman books as well as the Dusty Johnson book and DVD. I use them both frequently. I have built a bunch of saddles, and I learn something new each time. (not always good)