Sign in to follow this  
dickf

1911 3" Iwb

I'm particularly fond of this color combination. It's cordovan brown with black shark - I think it's classy.

Anyway, gun is a SA Micro 3", leather is 8 oz WC. All comments/critiques welcome. This one was my first shipped holster of the new year - Happy New Year!

:cheers:

1911-ultra-shark-cordovan.jpg

That is one fine looking rig right there. i see now I need to expand my selection of dyes. Who makes that particular brown if I may ask.

Really nice looking holster. Quick question if you don't mind. What weight is your shark and what weight leather do yo bond it to for your loops?

Fantastic start for the New Year. Looks awesome.

I'm particularly fond of this color combination. It's cordovan brown with black shark - I think it's classy.

Anyway, gun is a SA Micro 3", leather is 8 oz WC. All comments/critiques welcome. This one was my first shipped holster of the new year - Happy New Year!

1911-ultra-shark-cordovan.jpg

From the grumpy old guy; you done good. Mike

Looks terrific! Nice job!

Thanks for the nice words, guys.

@Abram - It's Angelus dye. They're the only ones I use anymore because of their awesome ability to penetrate deep and be even as can be all on their own.

@Denster - The shark is about 3oz and I sand down the leather for the loops from 7-8oz leather.

Beautiful work as always!

Do you cut the Angelus dyes as much as the Fiebings seem to need? I've been wanting to try a few shades for a little while.

Not at all - that cordovan brown is full strength liberally applied with a foam brush. That's the beauty of their dyes.

Not at all - that cordovan brown is full strength liberally applied with a foam brush. That's the beauty of their dyes.

That's lovely. And the coloring is so consistent it looks like it came that way from the tannery. Can you explain your procedure for dyeing?

many thanks

tk

Dickf - that's a great looking holster! I'd also be interested in hearing more about your dye application method. The last time I tried using Fiebing's Pro Oil dyes with a sponge brush, it made the brush swell up like the dye was reacting with the sponge material, and when the sponge touched the leather it was like it dumped the entire dye load in one spot. Application was not smooth/consistent at all. Very heavy application right at the beginning, then faded off quickly.

Honestly, there's nothing to it. I dye the inside to all my gear black, so I do that first. Then I glue the holster, sand, bevel the edges, run the groove around the edge, then dye. To apply the dye, I use the dense foam brushes from Lowe's or Home Deport - not the super loose foam from the 20 cent brushes. I dip the brush in the bottle of dye, and paint it on until it looks like I've coated everything evenly. I let it dry, usually overnight, buff the excess (with Angelus, there's usually very little if any), then stitch, mold, etc. If you haven't used any of their dye, you don't know what you're missing. Fiebings isn't that great, and airbrushing gives little to no penetration of the dye. I used to airbrush Fiebings spirit dye before I started with Angelus stuff - never again!

That is a great looking holster! And I also am loving the Angelus dye job,beautiful, Too bad I just bought 2 qts of Fiebings dye! Oh well, I am definitly going to still buy some Angelus brown to try when I find some, I have been fighting with Fiebings browns for awhile now.... What do you use for a finish over it, and how do you apply it? Resolene???

Thanks, BEARDOG! I use (surprise surprise) Angelus 600, painted on with the same type of foam brush.

Edited by dickf

Really nice looking holster. The Angelus dyes and finishes are the best out there IMO.

Thank you, Kevin! I totally agree, the Angelus line is nothing but top-tier products.