DoubleC

Lining Headstalls.

I think I should take up professional ballet or something easier than trying to learn this craft, and art form. After reading an older post about lining headstalls, where the man was using skirting leather, I said to myself WHAT? So I went and checked all three of my bridles here (yes, I wanna own all of them in the world, LOL) and realized the backs WEREN'T rough out leather like I assumed. I am not talking about the other topic of the evil blue tack set but my personal bridles.

Now I'm not sure if they were burnished on the back or actually lined. However they were done, they weren't sewn down the length of the reins yet they are smooth. But the headstall is sewn completely.

I had intended to use 7-9 oz veg tanned leather for my headstalls. It seems to be the same thickness as everything I have. Would it be better to use a lighter weight and line with the same, say 4-5 oz and then line with the same weight on the back, or use use a heavier weight and line with something lighter, or take up ballet :-)

Thanking you in advance for any help you can provide. Cheryl

Forget about the Ballet! ;)

All headstals are not lined ...

depending on the thickness and specificity of leather and quality of leather used

I just started to build up headstals

and thinking about leatherwork...everything is about "good sense"

when i use thick and not stretchy leather, i do not line them

if i use thiner or a bit stretchy leather, i line them....with thin leather

that's the way i figured it out.....

definitely the lone one

;)

Forget about the Ballet! ;)

All headstals are not lined ...

depending on the thickness and specificity of leather and quality of leather used

I just started to build up headstals

and thinking about leatherwork...everything is about "good sense"

when i use thick and not stretchy leather, i do not line them

if i use thiner or a bit stretchy leather, i line them....with thin leather

that's the way i figured it out.....

definitely the lone one

;)

Did I put a ballet on this? LOL. I can't keep my threads straight. do you burnish the back of your heavier leather? I'd love to see some of your work. My first one is going to be from a belt blank I have, 7-9oz but who knows in the future. Thanks for writing Aurelie. Cheryl

Edited by DoubleC

Hi Cheryl!

Here on my my FB page

you will be able to see some of the things i try to build ;)

small things:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.281061891931465.58786.228667370504251&type=3&l=338a6f7ef3

saddles :

gathering.gif

Hi Cheryl!

Here on my my FB page

you will be able to see some of the things i try to build ;)

small things:

http://www.facebook....=3&l=7ef8dfbe80

http://www.facebook....=3&l=338a6f7ef3

saddles :

http://www.facebook....=3&l=c5e831df0e

gathering.gif

You_Rock_Emoticon.gif If that's what you're TRYING to do, I'm quitting leatherwork when you get good,!!! Honestly, your items are beautiful. TWO saddles on top of everything else? I'm trying to decorate ONE mare and foal for a pendant and can't even get that right, LOL (Cheryl wonders how much she could sell everything she has on eBay and try a new line of workcoffeecomp.gif )

You_Rock_Emoticon.gif ....

I would not go THAT far....

I am newbie in that business and i have been taught and discovered it while working that it's a job where you learn everyday 'til you die

I said "i try" because i have followed a training for the building of saddles with Dale Moore ( http://www.montanahorseman.com ) so i ve got the basics but i seek for everything i can to improve myself in books and forums such as this one (a gold mine)

but for small items , i do it from scratch...i observe a lot and try to do it

when something does not suit me , i modify it

always thinking :

drawbacks to come?

dangerous?

what can be improved?

My buildings are FAR from being perfects but that the goal i have : try to reach as close as possible perfection..one day ;)

i am working very slowly because i have a baby home ; working in my living room (huh, if this can still be called a living room) waiting for my workshop to be finished and to top it off

I decided that i was going to go tickle US guys on their ground and bringing a saddle to the 2012 Sheridan Leather Show ( i know i will be buried down but it's a good challenge and i guess i will meet really interesting and nice people )

so...keep the faith ;) and work hard !

I am newbie in that business and i have been taught and discovered it while working that it's a job where you learn everyday 'til you die

I said "i try" because i have followed a training for the building of saddles with Dale Moore ( http://www.montanahorseman.com ) so i ve got the basics but i seek for everything i can to improve myself in books and forums such as this one (a gold mine)

always thinking :

drawbacks to come?

dangerous?

what can be improved?

My buildings are FAR from being perfects but that the goal i have : try to reach as close as possible perfection..one day ;)

i am working very slowly because i have a baby home ; working in my living room (huh, if this can still be called a living room) waiting for my workshop to be finished and to top it off

I decided that i was going to go tickle US guys on their ground and bringing a saddle to the 2012 Sheridan Leather Show ( i know i will be buried down but it's a good challenge and i guess i will meet really interesting and nice people )

always thinking :

drawbacks to come?

dangerous?

what can be improved?

Ahhh, perfection, that nebulous something only we can see in our mind's eye. Auerlie, I don't think you will get buried anywhere you go. I had to laugh about your living room. Mine's in the bedroom and I am NOT waiting for my shop to be built because I don't think the landlord will do that. I live in a one bedroom apartment, with one closet and every time I move, one of my 'piles' fall over, LOL. How you do that work with a baby though is beyond me. I have a service dog, and she drives me nuts because I'm not going anywhere to let her work OR play. She is lying on the bed curled around me where I'm sitting using my laptop on a small end table. When I spread things out on the bed to work, she stands and looks at me and whines because I took up the bed space. so I rearrange things to give her a path onto it LOL. I saved your link, and I'm going to add you as a friend if you don't mind, because I want to see how things go for you when you come across the 'pond.' Honestly I do. Cheryl

I had to laugh about your living room. Mine's in the bedroom (...) I live in a one bedroom apartment, with one closet and every time I move, one of my 'piles' fall over, LOL...

Then Welcome to the club ;)

How you do that work with a baby though is beyond me.

to be honest...i do not know....

except i have "enslaved" my hubby

he gives his hands when an extra pair is needed ;)

and it's rather common to work btw 8 pm and 12 pm while baby is sleeping AND when NO HAMMERING needed

AhAha

.... I saved your link, and I'm going to add you as a friend if you don't mind....,

sure! no problem! ;)

.... when you come across the 'pond.' Honestly I do. Cheryl

now you ve got to explain that saying!

i do not know this one! ;)

Then Welcome to the club ;)

to be honest...i do not know....

except i have "enslaved" my hubby

he gives his hands when an extra pair is needed ;)

and it's rather common to work btw 8 pm and 12 pm while baby is sleeping AND when NO HAMMERING needed

AhAha

sure! no problem! ;)

now you ve got to explain that saying!

i do not know this one! ;)

I lost my reply AND connection, LOL. I may have misused the word, to some it might only apply to England but I use it for Europe, Australia, etc. It means coming or going across the ocean. So tell your friends you are going across the pond and strut you stuff at that conference!!!! LOL