Sign in to follow this  
Sylvia

Wallet With Oak Leaves.

Man I have sore hands!

Ok so here is my first attempt at oak leaves. I even tried to undercut and lift the edges and let me tell you that isn't easy on 3oz wallet leather! I kept thinking that I would break through any moment.

Please be gentle but all comments and suggestions are welcome.

6668589469_3e174d2ec2_z.jpg

I just started last year this time, going slow, I built that wallet (use it every day) I do not understand undercut and lift , please explain so I can try it. I havn't posted any pictures because I have dial-up internet---sloooow .

Man I have sore hands!

Ok so here is my first attempt at oak leaves. I even tried to undercut and lift the edges and let me tell you that isn't easy on 3oz wallet leather! I kept thinking that I would break through any moment.

I just started last year this time, going slow, I built that wallet (use it every day) I do not understand undercut and lift , please explain so I can try it. I havn't posted any pictures because I have dial-up internet---sloooow .

It's hard to see because the leather is so thin and it's not dyed yet.

But basically it's cutting under the edge of the leaf a little ways, then lifting the leaf up to give the piece more dimension.

I learned the process here from Paul Burnett and Hidepounder.

I'll look for the tutorials for you.

Sylvia

Well, I can't find the tutorial just now. I'll keep looking, it might be on a pdf.

I do know that some use special "undercut" bevelers others have created their own by modifying screw drivers. I just used a very sharply pointed modeling tool (similar to a dental tool) and pushed poked and prodded my way under the edge of the leaves. Then used the spoon end of the tool to push under and open a small pocket. I think I need to go back in a while and lift a bit more before I dye it.

Edited by Sylvia

Hey Sylvia;

It doesn't look bad, the back ground may have been too damp when done, a border would have really set it off but it's a good start and the leaves to follow will only get better.

Are you happy with it?

Good job.

Kevin.

Edited by Tree Reaper

Hey Sylvia;

It doesn't look bad, the back ground may have been too damp when done, a border would have really set it off but it's a good start and the leaves to follow will only get better.

Are you happy with it?

Good job.

Kevin.

Thanks Kevin!

I'm not sure yet if I'm happy with it. The kit's instructions didn't have a border so I didn't create one between the leaves and the holes. Besides I think I got it a little too close to the edge

I went over that back-grounding a few times, so it's pretty mashed down. :head_hurts_kr:

Could you do me a favor and tell JohnJ how you do the undercut and lifts? I'm not sure I got it covered in my explanation.

Could you do me a favor and tell JohnJ how you do the undercut and lifts? I'm not sure I got it covered in my explanation.

Try this ...

http://www.greyghostgraphics.com/images/Petal%20Lifting.pdf

Man I have sore hands!

I think it's beautiful Sylvia. I'm not sure I would have had the guts to under cut it now that I even know what it means. Will you put a pic up after it's dyed? Cheryl

Thank you Silvia andTree Reaper for helping me with lifting. This place is Great!

I think it's beautiful Sylvia. I'm not sure I would have had the guts to under cut it now that I even know what it means. Will you put a pic up after it's dyed? Cheryl

Thanks Cheryl: (I like the improvements you've made on your website btw.)

Well, It's dyed, but I don't think I did a very good job of it. It was my first time working with EcoFlo hi light over Super Sheen. I think I need to learn to be more patient. LOL :P I'll probably have to go over it again. I know I want the letters darker and the background behind the leaves.

Has anyone noticed that the Super Sheen smells like Elmer's White Glue? So does the Tandy Leather Weld for that matter. I'm thinking about trying to use some of my Fiber Reactive dyes mixed into the super sheen to see what that does. Maybe some pearl pigments would add some excitement. hmmm...

:Lighten:

LOL helps if you add the photo.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7015/6674206881_042c5fddb2.jpg

Edited by Sylvia

Thanks Cheryl: (I like the improvements you've made on your website btw.)

Well, It's dyed, but I don't think I did a very good job of it. It was my first time working with EcoFlo hi light over Super Sheen. I think I need to learn to be more patient. LOL :P I'll probably have to go over it again. I know I want the letters darker and the background behind the leaves.

Has anyone noticed that the Super Sheen smells like Elmer's White Glue? So does the Tandy Leather Weld for that matter. I'm thinking about trying to use some of my Fiber Reactive dyes mixed into the super sheen to see what that does. Maybe some pearl pigments would add some excitement. hmmm...

:Lighten:

LOL helps if you add the photo.

http://farm8.staticf..._042c5fddb2.jpg

I haven't worked with either of those products yet from Tandy, I intended to get some super sheen but someone told me resolene would work better for what I am doing. Now I love the idea of pearl pigment in it. I think it's beautiful, really I do but did notice the letters.

Thanks about the site......worked on it on and off last two days in between other projects. My MAJOR project today was going to see my horse and I'm sitting here in the sweat pants I wore to the barn enjoying the little bit of left over aroma, LOL. Lace looked at the site and really liked what had been done, except thinks our addresses on there is too cheeky for her. I thought about it a few minutes, and I think she's right. I don't know, the craigslist thing has me as worried as anybody I guess because I've used that a lot in the past. So I'm on my way to take the addys off. Wanted to swing by here first to see what you were up to, LOL.

I haven't worked with either of those products yet from Tandy, I intended to get some super sheen but someone told me resolene would work better for what I am doing. Now I love the idea of pearl pigment in it. I think it's beautiful, really I do but did notice the letters.

Thanks about the site......worked on it on and off last two days in between other projects. My MAJOR project today was going to see my horse and I'm sitting here in the sweat pants I wore to the barn enjoying the little bit of left over aroma, LOL. Lace looked at the site and really liked what had been done, except thinks our addresses on there is too cheeky for her. I thought about it a few minutes, and I think she's right. I don't know, the craigslist thing has me as worried as anybody I guess because I've used that a lot in the past. So I'm on my way to take the addys off. Wanted to swing by here first to see what you were up to, LOL.

Yes, I noticed that too about the addresses and meant to say something about it. It would be different if you had a brick and morter shop, but from your homes... probably not a good idea. One never knows who's watching. I know that you can get a street address and post box as some of the UPS stores. That may be the thing to do. That and a Telephone number to a V-mail box. Just remember to check it often. :)

Oh yes, Ha ha ha.. that Aroma you speak of is called the smell of money. I call it "eau d' Barnyard" lol

Have fun. I think I just tweeked my dress makers shears... argh. The blades won't shut now.

Yes, I noticed that too about the addresses and meant to say something about it. It would be different if you had a brick and morter shop, but from your homes... probably not a good idea. One never knows who's watching. I know that you can get a street address and post box as some of the UPS stores. That may be the thing to do. That and a Telephone number to a V-mail box. Just remember to check it often. :)

Oh yes, Ha ha ha.. that Aroma you speak of is called the smell of money. I call it "eau d' Barnyard" lol

Have fun. I think I just tweeked my dress makers shears... argh. The blades won't shut now.

Well years ago you wouldn't have been considered a legitimate company without your address, and that was the last time I built a website. The internet, like the world has changed a lot since then. ROFL, is that the smell of money pouring out of your pocket into others? Since you put it that way I BETTER savor it, LOL.

ROFL, sounds like my 'tweeks.' A little turn of a screw there, and realignment of this or that, and it's not like the computer, no UNDO button in sight!!!!!

Well years ago you wouldn't have been considered a legitimate company without your address, and that was the last time I built a website. The internet, like the world has changed a lot since then. ROFL, is that the smell of money pouring out of your pocket into others? Since you put it that way I BETTER savor it, LOL.

ROFL, sounds like my 'tweeks.' A little turn of a screw there, and realignment of this or that, and it's not like the computer, no UNDO button in sight!!!!!

Yeah, dang it these $100 pair of shears... cutting 9oz leather. Just a chunk, mind you a cut about a foot long and when done they wouldn't close. Big nick on one of the blades... and one of the blades was bent. What the heck? Hubby came home and "un-tweeked them but he sharpened them like you would normal scissors. (Thank you, Dear. :head_hurts_kr:)

Now I have to find a tutorial on how to sharpen knife edge scissors. Or just send them in to Gingher and have them done for $7 plus shipping. Now... were is that Alaskan Ulu knife I used to have... that would cut this leather!

Yeah, dang it these $100 pair of shears... cutting 9oz leather. Just a chunk, mind you a cut about a foot long and when done they wouldn't close. Big nick on one of the blades... and one of the blades was bent. What the heck? Hubby came home and "un-tweeked them but he sharpened them like you would normal scissors. (Thank you, Dear. :head_hurts_kr:)

Now I have to find a tutorial on how to sharpen knife edge scissors. Or just send them in to Gingher and have them done for $7 plus shipping. Now... were is that Alaskan Ulu knife I used to have... that would cut this leather!

$100.00 sewing shears? And your husband tried to fix them instead of stab you with them? evillaugh.gif

Oh I've done that kind of stuff before (well maybe about weekly) but I don't have anything in the house I paid 100.00 for except my computer and so far I haven't tried to paint a wall with it, or clean my shoes treads.....

$100.00 sewing shears? And your husband tried to fix them instead of stab you with them? evillaugh.gif

Oh I've done that kind of stuff before (well maybe about weekly) but I don't have anything in the house I paid 100.00 for except my computer and so far I haven't tried to paint a wall with it, or clean my shoes treads.....

LOL I got them back when I had "extra" money at a local sew shop. A boutique like place that over priced everything. They came with a nice tin and everything. They are supposed to be the best and most sharp shears ... ha I guess I'm not supposed to be cutting thick leather with them.

LOL I got them back when I had "extra" money at a local sew shop. A boutique like place that over priced everything. They came with a nice tin and everything. They are supposed to be the best and most sharp shears ... ha I guess I'm not supposed to be cutting thick leather with them.

I don't know, maybe the dressmaker shears might have been a clue. Not that there isn't an abundant supply of lovely leather apparel but I don't think it's the 9oz weight, LOL. You keep me laughing, you are a really special person Sylvia.