Sign in to follow this  
TJ Smith

Beveling

When beveling a cut line my bevel tool tends to kick back against the cut line . I align my tool with the heel in the cut, and tap with my hammer. The tool compresses the leather on the ,say right side of the cut, but also kicks back against the left side. this destroys the smooth curve of the cut line. What to do?

TJ

Edited by TJ Smith

When beveling a cut line my bevel tool tends to kick back against the cut line . I align my tool with the heel in the cut, and tap with my hammer. The tool compresses the leather on the ,say right side of the cut, but also kicks back against the left side. this destroys the smooth curve of the cut line. What to do?

TJ

Hello TJ,...If I'm reading you correctly, I believe you have your tool backwards. The "Toe" needs to go in the cut line, while the heel compresses the leather away from the cut.

You may not be tipping the tool so that only one edge of the tool is touching the leather.

post-19342-034606800 1326394943_thumb.jp

Hello TJ,...If I'm reading you correctly, I believe you have your tool backwards. The "Toe" needs to go in the cut line, while the heel compresses the leather away from the cut.

Edited by Tree Reaper

Thanks for the replies. I may have reversed the names on the beveler but I have been using it the same way as George hurst. The only thing i see is I am not leaning the tool far enough over.

Thanks again.

I'll do some and take a pic.

TJ

If your bevelers are made correct you will hold the tool pretty much straight up. Most (actually all) modern Tandy bevelers are made with too little angle to them. Since they are not properly angled you have to hold the tool at an angle to compensate for the tool. What this creates is your line is not as crisp in the bottom of the cut since your tool does not really drop properly into the cut. If you look through the rack at the store there are actually some that have no discernible angle to them (seems so simple, bevel means angle, not square).

So the solution. Buy some quality tools, they are expensive. Or but some junky ones and reshape them properly. Or start from scratch and grind your own tools (this is the hardest answer).

Aaron