I just finished these two matching belts except one is only half tooled and half basketweave. They both have chocolate dyed backgrounds and dark brown antiquing. I stitched both of these with my newly acquired Cobra 4, which is a great machine by the way, with #69 thread at somewhere around 10 stitches per inch. Any kind of critiquing is welcome. Today is my official 1 year of tooling.

Jan2012_4.jpg

Jan2012_3.jpg

Jan2012_1.jpg

Jan2012.jpg

Very nice, looks like a bit of work!

How much time to tool a belt like that?

I'm still not big on antique (at all) - but that's a NICE looking belt. Love the stitching, too .. keep at it!

Excellent job on those belts they turned out beautiful. :thumbsup:

Nice work!

Very nice, looks like a bit of work!

How much time to tool a belt like that?

Thanks to everyone. As far as time goes i think i have maybe 6 or 7 hours in the half and half belt and around 8 or 9 in the fully tooled one. Im still a little bit slow but I know that i Have came a long way since my first wallet a year ago lol

Thanks to everyone. As far as time goes i think i have maybe 6 or 7 hours in the half and half belt and around 8 or 9 in the fully tooled one. Im still a little bit slow but I know that i Have came a long way since my first wallet a year ago lol

Nice work! :thumbsup: So, what do you charge for 6-9 hrs worth of work (1 belt)?

Nice work! :thumbsup: So, what do you charge for 6-9 hrs worth of work (1 belt)?

Most of my leather is priced by the piece but if I just had to break it down i'd say after materials are paid for i generally get around $20 an hour. I don't necessarily like to say that because in my opinion its all works of ART and I enjoy doing this, But I must also say it does help cover some of my College tuition lol. Being an Agriculture Major isn't cheap.

Most of my leather is priced by the piece but if I just had to break it down i'd say after materials are paid for i generally get around $20 an hour. I don't necessarily like to say that because in my opinion its all works of ART and I enjoy doing this, But I must also say it does help cover some of my College tuition lol. Being an Agriculture Major isn't cheap.

Trust me, don't make apologizes for charging for your "ART". As a Tattoo artist I am constantly reminding my customers that Art has Value and that they should pay accordingly. It takes time From the Concept, work up, tat up, clean up... and time IS money. (They would rather get it for nothing ).

Same goes for Leather....

and Kudos to you for going for that degree! Although It looks like you have a future in Leather :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Trust me, don't make apologizes for charging for your "ART". As a Tattoo artist I am constantly reminding my customers that Art has Value and that they should pay accordingly. It takes time From the Concept, work up, tat up, clean up... and time IS money. (They would rather get it for nothing ).

Same goes for Leather....

and Kudos to you for going for that degree! Although It looks like you have a future in Leather :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thank you very much. Now if I could just get some more projects out the door.

That's really impressive work my friend, from another student!

Jarret

That is a really fine job, especially like the mixed belt. Classic style.

You're comment about being an Ag major and making ends meet reminded me of myself many years ago. Filigree, buckstitched belts were in high fashion at the time,(mid-70's), and I was a struggling Ag major, never finished school, LOL, but I did continue my mostly self taught education in leather work.

In an aside, I have always struggled with how much to charge for my work. It's an ongoing thing with me.

Again, super good job.

Really nice work keep it up

Jarrett....those are good looking belts. Nicely done.

Killer belts!! Your work is awesome. What basketweave tool did you use. Can't believe hw straight and level it is. Great Job:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Killer belts!! Your work is awesome. What basketweave tool did you use. Can't believe hw straight and level it is. Great Job:You_Rock_Emoticon:

I used one of Barry Kings basket weave stamps and i must say how much nicer it stamps in comparison to a craftool

Excellent work in my eye view. Just keep doing what you are doing.. And don't apologize for the prices you charge to make something. It takes a bit of time to do this kind of work. If someone don't want to pay your price tell them to go buy something mass produced from some foreign country that you don't compete with that kind of junk.