Sign in to follow this  
matthewspahlinger

Need Some Style/technique Guidance

i just recently started making knife sheaths for the blades ive been making. i have not even bothered doing any tooling as im still trying to perfect my edges and stitching. however as beautiful and detailed as the work is that i have seen on this website i have not seen anything in the style that im interested in. a sheath/knife maker that i have been admiring in andre andersson. if anyone is familiar with his work could you name the style that his sheaths are tooled in. they are lined designs with inlays and geometric shapes. also if there are any tutorials that somone could recomend. last how are the grooved designs cut into the leather? thanks! heres a link to one of his knive sheaths that im interested in http://www.northlandknives.se/pages.asp?page=gallery&pageid=0&album_id=49

Sounds like you might be looking for some basic carving to start...

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/Basic-Carving-Leather-Craft-Vide.aspx

Do a search on knife sheaths here and you should get some ideas.

Kevin.

Looks Viking or Norse to me, perhaps Oseberg or Jelling style.

http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/manufacturing/text/norse_art.htm

This is an interesting article that shows some examples.

http://willadsenfamily.org/sca/danr_as/viking-art/viking_art_class.pdf

i just recently started making knife sheaths for the blades ive been making. i have not even bothered doing any tooling as im still trying to perfect my edges and stitching. however as beautiful and detailed as the work is that i have seen on this website i have not seen anything in the style that im interested in. a sheath/knife maker that i have been admiring in andre andersson. if anyone is familiar with his work could you name the style that his sheaths are tooled in. they are lined designs with inlays and geometric shapes. also if there are any tutorials that somone could recomend. last how are the grooved designs cut into the leather? thanks! heres a link to one of his knive sheaths that im interested in http://www.northland...d=0&album_id=49

Thanks for the links folks. I had an ah ha! Moment whatching that carving video. I had seen the tools he used for sale but I had no idea how they where used or what designs you could make. Thanks again

Sounds like you might be looking for some basic carving to start...

http://www.tandyleat...Craft-Vide.aspx

Do a search on knife sheaths here and you should get some ideas.

Kevin.

I so wish I had watched this video before I asked you all those questions, Kevin. You were very helpful and patient but that video would have saved YOU time if I'd watched it.

I so wish I had watched this video before I asked you all those questions, Kevin. You were very helpful and patient but that video would have saved YOU time if I'd watched it.

Cheryl:

Never underestimate the power of Youtube to learn stuff. There are loads of leather carving, etc videos on there. I've learned to do a lot of things just because youtube had a video. (Passive solar heart, (done) Passive Solar Food Dehydrator (done), Viking Knitting, (done) Darning socks (not done, but I know how now), French Seams (done) Jewelry Making (done) Pythagorean Theorem, Calculus, Physics (OMG, hope I never have to do that crap again, Done!) I even think there is a video on there on how to "kiss properly" LOL

:crazy:

Anyway... here is one of my favorite Leather craft time lapsed videos.

Cheryl:

Never underestimate the power of Youtube to learn stuff. There are loads of leather carving, etc videos on there. I've learned to do a lot of things just because youtube had a video. (Passive solar heart, (done) Passive Solar Food Dehydrator (done), Viking Knitting, (done) Darning socks (not done, but I know how now), French Seams (done) Jewelry Making (done) Pythagorean Theorem, Calculus, Physics (OMG, hope I never have to do that crap again, Done!) I even think there is a video on there on how to "kiss properly" LOL

It's weird, I go there all the time and watch videos related to my horse, but have just been too awed and busy trying to read everything here. Soon as I post my newest project, I'm going there and find out how to kiss properly, ROFL

sylvia that timelapse is pretty amazing

I know huh? I've watched several times trying to see exactly what he does.

Cheryl:

I forgot about this yesterday because I was getting emails from different threads, and right now I'm trying to find a post someone made to me about a journal and came upon this again....very weird and cool video. Thanks Sylvia.