I have some fiebings brown dye and the first piece I used it on turned out way to dark so I bought some thinner but what is the proper way to thin the dye. Thanks

Ok I guess what I'm trying to find out it how much dye how much thinner do you put in a little glass or plastic cup and just test mixtures till it looks good or do you just go 50/50

You can delute the alcohol based dyes as much as you like but:

One thing I have noticed is that the more deluted the dye is = it will be more tricky to get an even layer on the leather.

After many years using alcohol based dyes, some observations. While Isopropyl Alcohol will work to thin / de lute the dye, the result is a bit "grainy" in comparison, to using Denatured Alcohol. When using Denatured Alcohol, the color looks "smoother", especially when you get down to very eluted mixtures. Some of my colors get down to almost 1000/1. Basically in a 3 oz bottle, alcohol almost to the top, with 10 drops of color. We're only talking about a very minor difference,,, but the difference is noticeable. A 50/50 mixture for me is a Very strong color. Denatured alcohol, is about $6.00 for a quart,,, & that should last you a long time. I still use Isopropal Alcohol, for cleaning everything.

I hope this helps,,, Ed the"BearMan

post-7175-098897900 1326722626_thumb.jpg

After many years using alcohol based dyes, some observations. While Isopropyl Alcohol will work to thin / de lute the dye, the result is a bit "grainy" in comparison, to using Denatured Alcohol. When using Denatured Alcohol, the color looks "smoother", especially when you get down to very eluted mixtures. Some of my colors get down to almost 1000/1. Basically in a 3 oz bottle, alcohol almost to the top, with 10 drops of color. We're only talking about a very minor difference,,, but the difference is noticeable. A 50/50 mixture for me is a Very strong color. Denatured alcohol, is about $6.00 for a quart,,, & that should last you a long time. I still use Isopropal Alcohol, for cleaning everything.

I hope this helps,,, Ed the"BearMan

I'm with BearMan on this. Denatured alcohol is the proper way to go. Easily procured from the local Lowes, Home Depot or lumber yard. Mike