Sign in to follow this  
Suicide

Segma Snaps Got Loosing - How To Fix?

Hi everybody,

Is there any way to tighten segma snaps do not opens so easily?

They were pretty ok initially, but after some days now they can be unlocked almost with no any force to it - just a little pull by 2 fingers :(

Thanks in advance!

If it can't be reset then it will most likely have to be replaced.

Those things can be a pain.

Try and reset it first.

Edited by Tree Reaper

If it can't be reset then it will most likely have to be replaced.

Those things can be a pain.

Try and reset it first.

Thanks for reply!

I actually forgot to mention I had tried to reset it. It helps for couple of days, then the same story back..... :(

One of the parts may be deformed.

Thanks for reply!

I actually forgot to mention I had tried to reset it. It helps for couple of days, then the same story back..... :(

If you can find an over-sized snap setter, or something with a large rounded tip (or even a steel ball-bearing), place the end into the male part and tap very lightly. This widens the male part, and makes it a tighter fit into the female part. Be sure to check & test often, until it gets as tight as you want it - its pretty easy to go too far.

One of the parts may be deformed.

Seems no. I see the same behavior with both snaps preinstalled on tandy's belt blank and with the snaps I installed myself... Unless all the I have seen so far snaps eventually installed wrong....

And moreover, as said they hold pretty well for first couple of days and seems it doesn't matter how often I lock-unlock them ....

If you can find an over-sized snap setter, or something with a large rounded tip (or even a steel ball-bearing), place the end into the male part and tap very lightly. This widens the male part, and makes it a tighter fit into the female part. Be sure to check & test often, until it gets as tight as you want it - its pretty easy to go too far.

Thanks for this suggestion, I'll give it a try.

What weight of leather do you have these snaps on?

What weight of leather do you have these snaps on?

8 oz skived down to about half of thickness... so roughly lets say 4 oz.

btw that leathe is quite stiff. The whole belt is like a belt because of length but these snaps are placed first about inch off the buckle and second about 1-1/2" of the first one. There are alu keeper in between of them.

So in best case I sometimes have just this keeper goes freely to buckle (the closest to buckle on eis unlocked), in worst case after lets say fasten my shoes I need to lock em both back :(

And, once again, it happens after about 2 days of using the belt.

I have never used such snaps before so I'm buffled a bit who is wrong -me or snaps.

btw2 Just fixed pair of them with method suggested by TigerPal - now tightly as hell, I even can't unlock them with fingers. Lets see tomorrow after lunch :popcorn:

Edited by Suicide

That's a good tip, I've never tried that.