Sign in to follow this  
chancey77

Greetings From The Land Of Ice And Snow! Finland!

Florida transplant to Finland. I just found this site and I posted up some pics. may take me a few days to figure out how to navigate around. I have been doing leather work the better part of my life, 3rd generation and have all my dads and great granddads tools. A lot of their knowledge is gone now, so i am in anticipation to see what yall have to say about my work and find some new friends. Since I moved to Finland the biggest problem has been resources. If it where not for the folks at Tandy in England I would be screwed. I am 1 of maybe 3-5 people doing anything like this in Finland. There are lots of shoe and boot makers, but no local resources for veg tan or the types of antique oils my dad used to use. I am hoping maybe to find someone here with the knowledge for a recipe maybe so that i can make my own antiquing stains...I am currently at a loss, and Tandy in England does not carry Feibings antiques only Eco Flow...and we all know how crappy that is:)

So big hellos to all of you here.

Chancey

post-28433-022199200 1327536977_thumb.jp

Welcome to the Forum, the repository of all leatherwork knowledge (or most of it!) . . . you have some good-looking work! I guess Florida to Finland must have been a body-shock!

If you're keen to get hold of a good range of Fiebing's products, I would recommend Le Prevo (http://www.leprevo.co.uk/) or Abbey Saddlery (http://www.abbeyengland.com/) in the UK. Both companies are very reliable, and happy to ship overseas, but Abbey require you to register with them to get access to prices on their website.

Hope you're enjoying the Northern Lights!

Welcome to the forum!

Hi "neighbor" and welcome to this friendly place:-)

Here's a knife supplier in Finland with some of what you're looking for: https://www.brisa.fi/

Another leatherplace, this time in Sweden: http://www.tjaderlader.se/shop/

and my favourite in Scandinavia, from Denmark (even an English version): http://www.laederiet.dk/produkter/Visprodukter_engelsk.asp?id=27

I hope that between these sites you might find what you want//Tina

SWEET THANKS TINA , CELTICLEATHER AND KING'S X!!!!!!!

I have been using some stains that are made in Denmark, ad they have been extremely well made, I know how to make my own but it is easier just to buy them:)

I have this recipe.

50/50 water , vinegar

Boil, then place in a glass jar with Steel wool. Let sit for 3 weeks. Remove steel wool.

Add pigment-:) That is a very old easy concoction.

Not sure how to make antiques and I have not found any resources as of yet.

Feibings is not giving out secrets..... But I am sure there is someone here who has tried.

I have been using some stains that are made in Denmark, ad they have been extremely well made, I know how to make my own but it is easier just to buy them:)

I have this recipe.

50/50 water , vinegar

Boil, then place in a glass jar with Steel wool. Let sit for 3 weeks. Remove steel wool.

Feibings is not giving out secrets..... But I am sure there is someone here who has tried.

Tjäderläder in Sweden has the Tandy antiquing stuff...I'm sure that if you call them up they will talk english but If you need any translation help just PM me//Tina

Edited by Tina

Tjäderläder in Sweden has the Tandy antiquing stuff...I'm sure that if you call them up they will talk english but If you need any translation help just PM me//Tina

Thanks Tina,

It is acrylic just like the eco flow TLF carries.

If it is all i can get I guess I have to live with it or not use it at all. I may just have to talk abbyengland into sending the Paste on the low down.:)

Talked to the folks at Fiebings directly today...and needless to say..... should I even say it...NO HELP!

1327584398[/url]' post='231058']

I have this recipe.

50/50 water , vinegar

Whether you add pigment or not, this will turn your veg tan leather black. Iron plus tannin turns black. See many other posts on vinegaroon.