Sign in to follow this  
Erisea

De-Lurking

Hello!

I've been a lurker on the forums for while and figured it was about time to emerge and maybe put out a post or two every so often. I'm a self taught (but then aren't most of us?) leatherworker and have been for the past 3 years. I've always loved leather masks and decided to give it a whirl on my own after reading some of the lovely tutorials out there (Merimask and Tom Banwell- thank you for sharing your knowledge!) I primarily do masks, and commissions for my local larper friends, though I'm working on designing more leather sculptures as well. I'm definitely not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but I've learned a lot here from the forums and I'd like to give back that help to new folks as I can! I've thrown up a couple of my fav mask pics so folks can see what I'm about.

E

post-21670-080391700 1327610007_thumb.jp

post-21670-048252000 1327610033_thumb.jp

post-21670-058172800 1327610078_thumb.jp

post-21670-089003700 1327610158_thumb.jp

post-21670-032929100 1327610230_thumb.jp

Welcome!

I LOVE your dryad mask!

I've been meaning to try that technique out but haven't have the chance yet. I can definitely see both Merimask and Banwell's influences in your masks, and I think you've utilized their styles and techniques in a unique way. Keep up the good work!

Aw shucks, thanks.

The technique for the bark is super simple for the great results it gives- just make sure you use something that will darkened the details. I love using the eco flo all in one fudge brown for it.

Nice work! I love the patchwork rabbit. I'm thinking of doing some stitched masks for a near-future project.

You can go two routes with the "stitches" look. Either carve your line and actually hand stitch in thread (my mask making partner in crime likes that method) or tool it in with a small figure carving stamp (I don't remember exactly which one I use...looks like one you would use for seed work or rope). I'm sure there are other ways as well but those are the two I've used/seen used to great effect!

welcome, always great to see another mask maker!!!!