Sixer

New Sewing Machine To Arrive On Friday!

So my hands are finally going to get a break soon. My Cobra Class 4 "Dream Machine" is scheduled to arrive in a few days.

Honestly, I'm a complete newb when it comes to sewing machines, so I'm a little anxious to get it. I have no expectations of being able to start cranking out holsters this weekend... as I'm sure there will be much to learn.

I guess I'm just looking for any advice that might be helpful... anything that I should be aware of before getting started, or anything some of you guys wished you knew when you first started sewing with a machine.

I really dont even know enough to ask specific questions... but any helpful info / advice that you could share would be appreciated!

Thanks ;)

PS... Not sure if this post should be in the holster forum, but since that's what I'll be sewing, I figured I'd ask the members that use it for the same thing...

Congratulation!!!

Read the assembly instructions, look at all the pictures, spread out the parts. Then.. read the instructions again!

Now put the darn thing together properly.

Go ahead, ask me how I know. LOL

Next, PROPERLY THREAD THE MACHINE.

Do not change any settings or tensions. If it does not sew correctly, it is probably operator error. It was sewing fine when it was packed for shipping.

Another point is to sew without leather or material. Sound weird, right?

Use paper or light cardboard and just the needle, no thread. Learn to make corners, go the speed you want and don't waste good leather. Cut a strip and practice your edges, like it was a belt.

Practice, practice and practice.

Good luck,

Kevin

When you start sewing, hold your threads for the first couple of stitches. If you are going to back tack your stitches to lock the threads, hold the tails to the side so they don't get tangled. If you get the video with it, watch it first, then watch it again until you get to the timing part, don't try any of that for a while (hopefully never). Check all screws (exposed) and make sure everything is tight. Have someone there to help with assembly or have two additional arms with requisite musculature installed. Don't fuss with the tensions too much, chasing tension will drive a beginner nuts. Once you get it assembled, call Steve and have him walk you through a little learning, it won't take long and Steve can run you through if everything is set right.

Art

So my hands are finally going to get a break soon. My Cobra Class 4 "Dream Machine" is scheduled to arrive in a few days.

Honestly, I'm a complete newb when it comes to sewing machines, so I'm a little anxious to get it. I have no expectations of being able to start cranking out holsters this weekend... as I'm sure there will be much to learn.

I guess I'm just looking for any advice that might be helpful... anything that I should be aware of before getting started, or anything some of you guys wished you knew when you first started sewing with a machine.

I really dont even know enough to ask specific questions... but any helpful info / advice that you could share would be appreciated!

Thanks ;)

PS... Not sure if this post should be in the holster forum, but since that's what I'll be sewing, I figured I'd ask the members that use it for the same thing...

Don't fuss with the tensions too much, chasing tension will drive a beginner nuts.

Art

This one line is the single most important tip I can think of Sixer...I got my first big machine in December and thought I knew how to make the adjustments...took a ton of questions and 2 weeks of playing with it in my spare time to fix what I had "adjusted". ;)

Congratulation!!!

Read the assembly instructions, look at all the pictures, spread out the parts. Then.. read the instructions again!

Now put the darn thing together properly.

Go ahead, ask me how I know. LOL

Next, PROPERLY THREAD THE MACHINE.

Do not change any settings or tensions. If it does not sew correctly, it is probably operator error. It was sewing fine when it was packed for shipping.

Another point is to sew without leather or material. Sound weird, right?

Use paper or light cardboard and just the needle, no thread. Learn to make corners, go the speed you want and don't waste good leather. Cut a strip and practice your edges, like it was a belt.

Practice, practice and practice.

Good luck,

Kevin

We have a winner! Best response to a post I've seen in a long time!

Read it again, then read it again. Then practice, practice, and practice.

Just another reason I love this forum!

Thanks for the info guys... there's a good chance you may have already saved me hours of frustration. I will most definitely take my time and practice, practice, practice.

Again, much appreciated AND I'm sure I'll have many more questions to come ;)