Sign in to follow this  
Amanita

Good Metallic Paints?

I do a lot of my leatherwork for costuming/cosplay, so that means using a lot of metallic finish. Trouble is, what I've been able to find so far mostly sucks. Tandy's cova colors are nice, but their metallics just don't give me the look I want. I tried some stuff from the art supply store, and it didn't even stay on the leather when I flexed it a bit. Good thing I tested it on scrap first!

So does anyone have any suggestions for metallic finishes that will work on leather, and look better than the cova colors?

I do a lot of my leatherwork for costuming/cosplay, so that means using a lot of metallic finish. Trouble is, what I've been able to find so far mostly sucks. Tandy's cova colors are nice, but their metallics just don't give me the look I want. I tried some stuff from the art supply store, and it didn't even stay on the leather when I flexed it a bit. Good thing I tested it on scrap first!

So does anyone have any suggestions for metallic finishes that will work on leather, and look better than the cova colors?

I use the Folk Art brand metallic paints on my masks and have had pretty good luck with them so far. I seal it with Resolene or Super Sheen once it's dry.

I use the Folk Art brand metallic paints on my masks and have had pretty good luck with them so far. I seal it with Resolene or Super Sheen once it's dry.

I use the Folk Art as well. I usually mix it with water to thin it. Thinning it helps it bond to the leather's pores better, it does take more coats though. I seal with a 50/50 water/resolene mix. Two coats with a good amount of dry time in between coats. FYI, do not attempt to seal before the paint has a chance to completely dry.

The Angelus leather acrylic paints in all colors, including the metallics work great. Silver, Gold, Pewter, Copper and I believe a few others. I use them quite often when I tool service pins/medals for military folks.

The Angelus leather acrylic paints in all colors, including the metallics work great. Silver, Gold, Pewter, Copper and I believe a few others. I use them quite often when I tool service pins/medals for military folks.

I think I can find the Folk art ones at my local art supply store, where can I find the Angelus ones?