Wink

Old Leather

First off, thanks to contributors. I've learned a ton already and have only a few hundred more tons to learn.

Anyway, I acquired my Dad's old leather working tools along with a couple old kits and some belt blanks. The problem is its all about 35 years old. I tried casing it as per Tandy's instructional videos but it seems to dry VERY quickly. I just recently read another overnight casing technique and was wondering if that could help restore the leather or is it just too old for decent tooling?

Keep in mind that the worse case scenario is that I use this for practice so it won't go to waste.

Thanks all!

Wink

Tandy's casing video only seems to work on very thin or very small pieces, even though I've seen others get great results from it. I would try overnight casing by following Hidepounder's guide. If that doesn't work, maybe try some kind of casing solution. Remember, it's been dying of thirst for 35 years so it's going to guzzle any fluid it comes in contact with.

I wouldn't think any amount of water is going to help that. What it lost over the years is the natural OILS in the leather, not just moisture.

I wouldn't think any amount of water is going to help that. What it lost over the years is the natural OILS in the leather, not just moisture.

Would it help to give it some good oiling and then case it?

I don't honestly know. I think if I was going to "guess" something to try, I'd oil it and let it set a day or two. Depending on what I get, I might oil again. Regardless, if you want to bring it back from the edge, as they say, I'd try to restore the suppleness first - then maybe tool it IF that works (and it just might).

Sounds like some good advice to me. I may end up in the same position as the OP pretty soon. One of my co-worker's might be setting me up with all of his dad's old stuff - tools, leather, and all.

First off, thanks to contributors. I've learned a ton already and have only a few hundred more tons to learn.

Anyway, I acquired my Dad's old leather working tools along with a couple old kits and some belt blanks. The problem is its all about 35 years old. I tried casing it as per Tandy's instructional videos but it seems to dry VERY quickly. I just recently read another overnight casing technique and was wondering if that could help restore the leather or is it just too old for decent tooling?

Keep in mind that the worse case scenario is that I use this for practice so it won't go to waste.

Thanks all!

Wink

Wink:

While I tend to agree with the others.... in this case I'm just going to remind you that your ambient humidity is going to play a factor on the leather drying out. It's only about 20% humidity in my house right now and in that case I have to re-dampen the leather frequently.

Case it well, then have a tub of water and a clean sponge handy. As you work, you'll notice it drying out a bit re-dampen, let it blush... and begin again.

Wink:

While I tend to agree with the others.... in this case I'm just going to remind you that your ambient humidity is going to play a factor on the leather drying out. It's only about 20% humidity in my house right now and in that case I have to re-dampen the leather frequently.

Case it well, then have a tub of water and a clean sponge handy. As you work, you'll notice it drying out a bit re-dampen, let it blush... and begin again.

Thanks a bunch. I will try this and see what happens. It's not that there's alot so if it doesn't work out, it's not a huge loss. Besides, I can practice with it! That's another problem, I live in a pretty dry part of the country (especially this year) so maybe I should invest in a humidifier of some sort.

Thanks a bunch. I will try this and see what happens. It's not that there's alot so if it doesn't work out, it's not a huge loss. Besides, I can practice with it! That's another problem, I live in a pretty dry part of the country (especially this year) so maybe I should invest in a humidifier of some sort.

You are welcome. A humidifier might help some but so will a pot of boiling water on the cooker. Just don't let it boil dry. LOL Plants help with household humidity too... if you can keep them alive. lol.

Good luck.

You are welcome. A humidifier might help some but so will a pot of boiling water on the cooker. Just don't let it boil dry. LOL Plants help with household humidity too... if you can keep them alive. lol.

Good luck.

"...if you can keep 'em alive." My nickname is The Green Reaper.

Whats gone is gone....use the items as a pattern and cut new pieces......then put it together and show us what you did.........

Whats gone is gone....use the items as a pattern and cut new pieces......then put it together and show us what you did.........

I need to learn how to read. I completely missed the part about it being the kit pieces.

I need to learn how to read. I completely missed the part about it being the kit pieces.

Don't feel bad Thrash, I did too. I was about to go into this long discourse about to me all leather dries out to quick, and slap some water on that puppy and go, LOL. I guess that ;puppy could be be a grilled hot dog by now, LOL