Leather Guru

Can I Change

Is it possible to change from needle system 794 to 328 on my 441 clone ?

Yes,it can be done real easy by lowering the needlebar,but you won't be able sew over 1/2" thick or your needlebar will hit the foot.

Bob

Yes,it can be done real easy by lowering the needlebar,but you won't be able sew over 1/2" thick or your needlebar will hit the foot.

Bob

Hi Bob , Thanks for your quick answer . Actually I already changed when I asked the question BUT . I had to lower the needle bar too much so the hook would pass at the right moment . I suppose that the timing is not correct ? ? Which leads me to my next question . I suppose that the timing is adjusted at the base of the machine after removing the cover plate ? Is the timing adjusted with the bobbin case against the top stop or bottom stop on the arm which propels the shuttle ? Do you see what I mean ? I got some experience so you don't have to be too gentle . Also the needle should rise how many millimeters when the hook arrives ?

Thanks in advance for your help .

Ralph

Ralph,

I'll try to give you an answer till Bob can fill you in. Yes the cap screw that secures the hookshaft (shuttleshaft) is at the bottom of the crank riser. The feed should be set to zero and the needle taken down to bottom and raised 3/16 inch (sorry no mm), there the tip of the shuttle should meet the scarf of the needle. Adjust the shuttle so and tighten the capscrew and you have timed the shuttle.

If the timing was set correctly in the first place, I would have just adjusted the new needle system to the shuttle. Then I would have marked the needle bar for the new system. Maybe it is a little late for that now. I think I would go through the whole system timing procedure now as the feed may or may not be in time.

Art

Hi Bob , Thanks for your quick answer . Actually I already changed when I asked the question BUT . I had to lower the needle bar too much so the hook would pass at the right moment . I suppose that the timing is not correct ? ? Which leads me to my next question . I suppose that the timing is adjusted at the base of the machine after removing the cover plate ? Is the timing adjusted with the bobbin case against the top stop or bottom stop on the arm which propels the shuttle ? Do you see what I mean ? I got some experience so you don't have to be too gentle . Also the needle should rise how many millimeters when the hook arrives ?

Thanks in advance for your help .

Ralph

Hi Leather Guru. Is there a reason that you want to use the 328 system rather than the 794 system? You might try lowering the needle instead of lowering the needle bar, you will get the same result but less adjusting. Thanks, Steve

Hi Steve,

My No.9 has two settings on the needle bar for the two systems. How is Wickenburg?

Art

Hi Leather Guru. Is there a reason that you want to use the 328 system rather than the 794 system? You might try lowering the needle instead of lowering the needle bar, you will get the same result but less adjusting. Thanks, Steve

Like Art is a saying if the machine was already sewing then all you need to do is lower the needlebar down enough so when you turn the machine around & the point of the comes to the needle it has to be below the eye so it can catch the thread.

Bob