krista

Biothane

I have been sewing for about 20 years but mostly light fabric based items. I am excited to be going in a new direction and moving into leather, and primarily biothane. I have not purchased any equipment yet, so if anyone has any beginner tips on working with biothane that I should know before I get started, I am all ears (or eyes).

cheers

Krista

Edited by krista

Hi Krista,

There is a BrahamaWeb thread currently running about this. You should also contact http://www.bioplastics.us and have them send you samples and instructions on how to work it.

Art

I have been sewing for about 20 years but mostly light fabric based items. I am excited to be going in a new direction and moving into leather, and primarily biothane. I have not purchased any equipment yet, so if anyone has any beginner tips on working with biothane that I should know before I get started, I am all ears (or eyes).

cheers

Krista

Biothane is NOT leather. It is plastic coated nylon webbing, there is NO similaritys . I tried it and my experiance is hard to sew even on a new machine, the stitches sit on top of the material and will wear off easily. So either you are getting into plastics or leather they are NOT one and the same.

Biothane is NOT leather. It is plastic coated nylon webbing, there is NO similaritys . I tried it and my experiance is hard to sew even on a new machine, the stitches sit on top of the material and will wear off easily. So either you are getting into plastics or leather they are NOT one and the same.

OUCH! Or... she could be looking to do both.

My point being what works on one may not work on the other. Different tools and machines may be needed. The statement was getting into leather primarily BIOTHANE thus my point they ARE different.

OUCH! Or... she could be looking to do both.

I do realize leather and BioThane are different. and yes, I am looking to begin working with both materials.

I was just interested in anything that someone already working with biothane has found that they think might benofit a beginner to know.

If you feel different tools and a different machine needs to be used, what type would you suggest?

As for different tools most cutting tools for leather are not suited to Bio. Bio. is mostly cut with heat and also bonded (often refered to as welding ) with heat and special machines. If you were to check out Aaron Martin harness website you would get some idea of the machines used to work with Bio.

Bio. can be sewn but in my opinion the stitches do not set well, it is hard and the stitches sit on top rather then pulling down flush with the surface like they do on leather or non coated nylon. I have 3 machines including a Cowboy sew 4500 , they will all sew Bio. but I don't lke the look of the job they do. This why I said you are either working with a plastic or a leather.

Clearly Bio has it place it is a strong man made material.

I am sure you know that you can not stamp, carve, split, skive or mold Bio. So from my limited experiance with Bio. your sewing machine might be near the only thing that works with both, even so you will likely have to make adjustments when changing from one to the other.

These are just MY opinions others may differ.

I do realize leather and BioThane are different. and yes, I am looking to begin working with both materials.

I was just interested in anything that someone already working with biothane has found that they think might benofit a beginner to know.

If you feel different tools and a different machine needs to be used, what type would you suggest?

Hello All,

I'd be glad to help answer any questions about Biothane if I can.

I might be a bit biased since I work there:), but if I can help get someone the information they need, I'd be glad to do it.

Scott Hanna

440-327-0485