Sign in to follow this  
jdwintx

Fraying Thread

Perhaps someone can help me with this issue, I'm trying to sew a bag seam consisting of 3 layers of the Tandy Highlander Chrome tanned hide (approx 8 oz per layer) on my Cobra 24 and no matter what I try the thread fray's out after a few stitches. I've adjusted my presser foot tension, thread tension, etc., I changed out the needle and checked everything else. I'm using 346 on top and 277 on the bobin and a #25 needle the total thickness is approximately 1/2". Could it be that the leather is so supple that the hole closes up and catches the thread? I'm pretty much at my wits end and I really don't want to hand stitch this if I can avoid it. Any help would be appreciated.

John

Looking at my needle chart it says to use a 26 / 27 needle for 346 thread. Not sure why you would want to use something that big anyway. The first thing i would try is to put the 277 on top and bottom or 207 on the bottom if you have it and see what happens.

As to why I want to use 346 (which is what I assume you meant), I like the way it looks and I wanted the stitches to not only stand out but be very durable as well. As for the needle/Thread sizing my Cobra manual recommends a #25 for more than 20oz with either 277 or 346. I could bump the needle up and see but I don't want to change the thread size

What color thread are you using? I had a fraying problem with my Cobra 4 with the black thread I got with it. The white thread was fine. I bought a different black thread from Springfield and have no problems with fraying now. The black thread I used originally is a bit stiffer than the new stuff.

I have to agree with steelhawk. Try a different thread. I don't think the thread companies can control dimensions from run/run at a truly precise level.

The manuals for machines NEEDLE/THREAD also "fudge" needle sizes and cannot be used as absolutes, they are GUIDES..the craftsman must adjust.

To use you current thread, try another needle. You might have actually received say..375..or 382.. or whatever thread.

I have had the same situation on different thread on my CB 4500. The needle/thread combination changes. There are no RULES, JUST GUIDES.

Try the test of holding your thread at 45 degrees and letting the needle slide down with free flow. If it slides the needle is the correct size, if not change needle size.

Kevin

Thanks folks, as far as the thread, I'm using a new roll I just got from Thread Exchange (Brown), I've got a roll of black and of white as well so I can try switching thread, I'll also check the needle although it seems to have plenty of clearance when I thread it. I'll keep playing with it though and see. I appreciate the feedback