tparrish

Singer 78-3 Help

I picked up a nice &8-3 a while back but I need a little help with thread and needle size. I will be sewing 5 - 6 oz horween glove leather and was wondering if anyone could recommend a proper needle and thread size. I am looking for a thread that is the same in weight to that used to sew together high end baseball gloves. Thanks in advance.

Some examples:

073.jpg

042.jpg

The largest thread a 78 would sew is #138,if you want to PM me your name & address I can send you a short piece so you can compare.

It's hard to tell from the pic but I'm almost certain they use alot larger on a mitt.

Bob

Sewmun I sent a pm.

Anyone else have a suggestion?

16x99; 16x100; 16x198 are the needles listed. I don't know what size thread this translates to. Walking Foot - One Needle. Max. speed 1600 spm. For lightweight work in imitation leather; upholstery. Automobile tops. Combined upper and needle feed. No under feed. This is the operators manual www.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/78-1_2_3.pdf

Edited by busted

16x99; 16x100; 16x198 are the needles listed. I don't know what size thread this translates to.

Those numbers specify a needle system, not the diameter of the working shaft or eye. Therefore, no thread range is to be gleaned from these numbers.

However, if one has needles in any or all of these systems, a # 16 (metric 100) or #18 (metric 110) needle accommodates #69 thread. A #22 or #23 needle fits #138 thread.