DoubleC

Help, Block Out Resist

I'm working on the eye I sold, and the owners horse was a buckskin with one blue eye. I'm doing the blue eye eye for her, and I painted it first, and now have put a coat of eco flo block out resist. How many coats does this take? it had no instructions on the side like most of their stuff does. And of course I want this one to be as perfect as possible.

One coat and let dry for a few hours at least or two coats if you require lots of resistance.

One coat and let dry for a few hours at least or two coats if you require lots of resistance.

Thanks Kevin, I'll put on another thin coat and put it up for a while. I'm going to going around the iris , with a lot of tan, brown and black so I really want it to resist. Plus I want this one to look good, no great. Cheryl

Thanks Kevin, I'll put on another thin coat and put it up for a while. I'm going to going around the iris , with a lot of tan, brown and black so I really want it to resist. Plus I want this one to look good, no great. Cheryl

Cheryl

Just in case: beware dyeing over blockout (and actually over most of acrylic finishes) - most likely dye will go through a resist. Use stains instead of dyes.

Cheryl

Just in case: beware dyeing over blockout (and actually over most of acrylic finishes) - most likely dye will go through a resist. Use stains instead of dyes.

I agree... turns out the most disastrous results.

Cheryl

Hi Suicide. I don't want to dye over my acrylic, the resist is just in case of an 'oooops.' LOL

I agree... turns out the most disastrous results.

Just oooops protection, not to dye over anything, LOL.

This is what it looks like with gel antique in saddle tan.

Don't forget to wipe the dye off the resisted area.

post-19342-081785100 1329345791_thumb.jp

This is what it looks like with gel antique in saddle tan.

Don't forget to wipe the dye off the resisted area.

That's really pretty Kevin, and yes I will be wiping it off super quick. Cheryl

I have found that the eco flo products do a much better job if you let them completely dry (24 hours).

I have found that the eco flo products do a much better job if you let them completely dry (24 hours).

Thanks Radar. I'll do that the next time. Fortunately I didn't have any 'oooops' with the project. Cheryl

Yes, they said these are most like the other acrylic products (paints etc) but need more time for polymerization as water based.

You can think about these like about regular acrylics using by artists / they can be easily swept away while wet, but after polymerization happens they keep on the surface pretty well.

Thanks Artimus, that's really beautiful. Oh the 'oooops' I've had since this thread started :-) I seem to forget more than I learn and I love it when an old thread surfaces to help with my memory. Cheryl

OMG Jack with the 'oooops' issues I have sometimes, this looks like magic. Thanks so much. Now can you just find me a paper cutter thing that will cut leather straight since me and straight don't live on the same block. Or same state. I'd be such a happy camper. Cheryl