DoubleC

Is This Too Weird For Colors?

Some of you already know a friend of mine was diagnosed with a brain tumor yesterday. Some where around 3 AM I went to the basement to get a behemoth of a chair he gave me. I wanted the chair, it's a really cool antique, but I wanted to get another carpet out of here, etc. before I upholstered the seat. I honestly don't know how I got that sucker up two flights of steps but it's here. All I have to upholster it with is the pebbly gray crap, and I wanted to dye it black since we've all had so much fun with that color. But I thought it would make it look like that fake stuff from the 70-80s, even though it would really have made the black in the toile fabric pop. Really I wanted to do it in red but i also have an antique settee down there I'm going to upholster in my red and black Navajo saddle blanket. I had the long wall in there painted red, and the rest of the room is yellow. It seemed like it was going to be getting pretty 'red' in there. So I took this dk. cocoa brown I was dumb enough to pay good money for, and put it on first, and then a coat of yellow but it's just not doing it for me. Any suggestions? I want it done when he comes home from the hospital.

Some of you already know a friend of mine was diagnosed with a brain tumor yesterday. Some where around 3 AM I went to the basement to get a behemoth of a chair he gave me. I wanted the chair, it's a really cool antique, but I wanted to get another carpet out of here, etc. before I upholstered the seat. I honestly don't know how I got that sucker up two flights of steps but it's here. All I have to upholster it with is the pebbly gray crap, and I wanted to dye it black since we've all had so much fun with that color. But I thought it would make it look like that fake stuff from the 70-80s, even though it would really have made the black in the toile fabric pop. Really I wanted to do it in red but i also have an antique settee down there I'm going to upholster in my red and black Navajo saddle blanket. I had the long wall in there painted red, and the rest of the room is yellow. It seemed like it was going to be getting pretty 'red' in there. So I took this dk. cocoa brown I was dumb enough to pay good money for, and put it on first, and then a coat of yellow but it's just not doing it for me. Any suggestions? I want it done when he comes home from the hospital.

I haven't looked and maybe there's an upholstery forum on here. I knew this wasn't exactly the right place but now after some sleep I really am ready for some suggestions, I'll put black on too and see if you think it looks fake, I didn't actually try it, just thought it would.

I haven't looked and maybe there's an upholstery forum on here. I knew this wasn't exactly the right place but now after some sleep I really am ready for some suggestions, I'll put black on too and see if you think it looks fake, I didn't actually try it, just thought it would.

I changed this to a poll, someone please help because I'm starting in a little while. Of course lots of prep work to do before you start adding the new.

Edited by DoubleC

I changed this to a poll, someone please help because I'm starting in a little while. Of course lots of prep work to do before you start adding the new.

Chocolate brown, Burgundy, or Cordovan are the colors I would choose from. However, your red and yellow walls may not look good with Burgundy or Cordovan.... so your best choice because it's more neutral is a chocolate brown.

You really should have this chair appraised before you do much to it. It looks pretty substantial it might be worth a quarter million dollars and it would suck to find out you would only get $200 because you did something to it.

Chocolate brown, Burgundy, or Cordovan are the colors I would choose from. However, your red and yellow walls may not look good with Burgundy or Cordovan.... so your best choice because it's more neutral is a chocolate brown.

You really should have this chair appraised before you do much to it. It looks pretty substantial it might be worth a quarter million dollars and it would suck to find out you would only get $200 because you did something to it.

Substantial? rofl.gif Uh, took me an hour to get it up two flights of steps on my own, and I wouldn't have been able if I hadn't had all that adrenalin still flowing from finding out about Charlie.

ROFL, I forgot to tell you....I changed my mind again, I'm reversing the antique settee idea and chair.

Edited by DoubleC

Isn't that the 1/2 million antique blanket from the Antiques Road Show?

Art

ROFL, I forgot to tell you....I changed my mind again, I'm reversing the antique settee idea and chair.

Isn't that the 1/2 million antique blanket from the Antiques Road Show?

Art

rofl.gif

Seriously Art, the chair is still stuffed with horsehair, and is all hand made. I'm thinking over what Sylvia said While I work on something else. Because that could be the original material. Very commonly used in the 1800s and earlier. I think it was made in the USA because by the 1800s in England they had factories making furniture. But on this, I noticed two of the carve marks on the leaves aren't identical and two of the eyes on the one arm lion aren't either.

I wish I had an antique Navajo blanket. I'm kinda into old crap, LOL

rofl.gif

Seriously Art, the chair is still stuffed with horsehair, and is all hand made. I'm thinking over what Sylvia said While I work on something else. Because that could be the original material. Very commonly used in the 1800s and earlier. I think it was made in the USA because by the 1800s in England they had factories making furniture. But on this, I noticed two of the carve marks on the leaves aren't identical and two of the eyes on the one arm lion aren't either.

I wish I had an antique Navajo blanket. I'm kinda into old crap, LOL

Watch out Antiques Road Show..... here come Cheryl. :)

BTW... Have you ever upholstered with stripes before? If not, I would avoid stripes. I've had experience with upholstering with striped material. What a PITA. Never again.

Watch out Antiques Road Show..... here come Cheryl. :)

BTW... Have you ever upholstered with stripes before? If not, I would avoid stripes. I've had experience with upholstering with striped material. What a PITA. Never again.

I don't think I'm going to upholster it. I think I'll just put the batting down, and the blanket folded on it until I actually can get it appraised. I would never sell Charlie's chair but I don't want to ruin it either although they consider upholstery a lesser evil than say, refinishing the wood. That's gonna be my stitching pony chair when I get one, LOL