rgerbitz

Splitting Rawhide

I was trying to split some thick rawhide from around 5 or 6/32 down to about 1/32 and have been having a dandy of a time with it. I believe my splitter to be very sharp and the moisture in my strings to be apropriate. The string is about 3/4 of an inch wide. And I am either stretching the strings till they are paper thin or breaking them or it cuts fine. So I end up with an inconsistant thickness through out the string. Does any one have any suggestions as to what I might do better.

Thank you

Rob

I was trying to split some thick rawhide from around 5 or 6/32 down to about 1/32 and have been having a dandy of a time with it. I believe my splitter to be very sharp and the moisture in my strings to be apropriate. The string is about 3/4 of an inch wide. And I am either stretching the strings till they are paper thin or breaking them or it cuts fine. So I end up with an inconsistant thickness through out the string. Does any one have any suggestions as to what I might do better.

Thank you

Rob

Take thinner slices off with each pass. Takes more passes but you won't be putting so much tension

on the string as it passes the blade.

I concur with Hedge - take more passes until you get the thickness you want.

Opagon and Hedge I was thinking that I should do that just was afraid I would be wasting time. Thank you for your input, and when do we get to see some more of what you guys have been up to?

Rob

Opagon and Hedge I was thinking that I should do that just was afraid I would be wasting time. Thank you for your input, and when do we get to see some more of what you guys have been up to?

Rob

Rob, forgot to mention...as you know, there will be some thicker spots on the hide. Find those and

set your blade to skive them until you get a uniform thickness for the whole string. That will minimize hard pulls as you do the whole string.

Haven't had time to work on anything. Haying season is here and I still have plenty of work to do around the place. Will post some when I get back to leather work. :)

Hey Rob, most folks do not try and thin rawhide strings down thinner than the thinnest part. If your strip varies from say 5/32" to 3/32" thick then the thinnest you would want to take it is to 3/32". The reason being that you will compromise to much of the strings integrity by going down to say 1/32". If you want "good" string that thin you will have to get a calf or better still a slunk or what ever they call stillborns in your neck of the woods. Go down to your local auction barn and I bet they have some that aren't going to make it that they will practically give away. You may have to kill one yourself but at that point it is the humane thing to do as they have some come through that aren't that healthy and there is nothing can be done with them. String thinned like you are trying MAY be good for buttons...maybe but definitely not for braiding. Also, if your string is stretching while splitting and your blade is sharp then the strip is too moist. I put them in a sack or baggie or plastic bag for another day and let the moisture content even out a bit more then try again. And when I am going from 5/32" to 3/32" I will do that in 2 or three passes and not all at once ESPECIALLY if I have already taken the stretch out of my strip by putting it on the fence. I hardly do that any more because the process of splitting is usually enough to take the stretch out of the final strings. When you stretch too much you run the risk of breaking down the fiber of the string and you end up with weak stretch string that will probably break during braiding and if not leaves a weak spot in your finished product.

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

What your hands do, it your own eyes that have seen. So, won't you judge your actions to make sure the results are clean
Bob Marley - Pass It On

Very helpful info everyone. I sometimes wondered why folks were using calf skins and the like in thier braiding. Can't wait to see the looks I get at the sale barn or feedlots when I ask for their calves or newborns. They think I'm half strange as it is just gettting the hides from the meat locker. Probably be waiting for me with a little white coat that buttons in the back the next time I show up. Thank you all very much.

Rob