Sign in to follow this  
glockanator

Clam Shell Holster Question

Need some help a gentleman asked me to make him a IWB holster for a Dan Wesson with a heavy shroud. I have drawer up a pancake style holster but it looks huge! I am wondering if it would be better to do more of a clam shell IWB holster. When drawing a pattern for a clam shell how much space do I need to leave?

I would say it is all in the design. This is my pancake for my DW Model 15 with a 4" heavy barrel (It's mine so the fit-and-finish are not the best and it was the 4th holster I ever made and the first with horsehide so bear with me). I would, however, speculate these are not the ideal revolvers for IWB or even concealed carry. They are rather large.

post-10631-072365900 1329866987_thumb.jp

I would say it is all in the design. This is my pancake for my DW Model 15 with a 4" heavy barrel (It's mine so the fit-and-finish are not the best and it was the 4th holster I ever made and the first with horsehide so bear with me). I would, however, speculate these are not the ideal revolvers for IWB or even concealed carry. They are rather large.

post-10631-072365900 1329866987_thumb.jp

Would you mind taking a pic of your DW? The gentleman who I am making the holster for has a 2 in slabide that he wants to carry IWB.Good looking holster!

Edited by glockanator

Would you mind taking a pic of your DW? The gentleman who I am making the holster for has a 2 in slabide that he wants to carry IWB.Good looking holster!

Sure can. This barrel was made by CZ (who now owns Dan Wesson) but follows the standard style of the Dan Wesson heavy barrels. It looks identical to the original 6" which was made in the Monsoon plant. There is another company making heavy barrels which look awful (My opinion) - They are essentially just big rectangles.

post-10631-071886700 1329871492_thumb.jp

post-10631-054559700 1329871503_thumb.jp

Need some help a gentleman asked me to make him a IWB holster for a Dan Wesson with a heavy shroud. I have drawer up a pancake style holster but it looks huge! I am wondering if it would be better to do more of a clam shell IWB holster. When drawing a pattern for a clam shell how much space do I need to leave?

Well, I guess that you are actually talking about a standard pouch holster --- not a clam shell. Here's a couple of pics of a 'Clam Shell' duty holster from the early '60's. It wasn't too good of a rig as it had a tendency to pop open at unannounced times --- dumping your shooter on the ground. However one large law enforcement agency carried them for some time.Wouldn't work at all for an IWB. Mike

cs2.jpg

clam1.jpg

Sure can. This barrel was made by CZ (who now owns Dan Wesson) but follows the standard style of the Dan Wesson heavy barrels. It looks identical to the original 6" which was made in the Monsoon plant. There is another company making heavy barrels which look awful (My opinion) - They are essentially just big rectangles.

post-10631-071886700 1329871492_thumb.jp

post-10631-054559700 1329871503_thumb.jp

Thanks! Are you talking about the EWK barrels? Thats what this guy has. And yes I was thinking more of a pouch style holster. I was just calling it a clam because it folds like a clam. Would I just measure the with of the gun and then lay in on its side and and my stich lines that way? Do I still need to leave 1/2" inch to 3/4" from the outline of the gun?

Thanks

Yes, it is EWK. I have some of their tools but despise the look of their barrels.

Revolvers are a little trickier than most autos since the barrel is usually thinner than the cylinder which can throw your stitch lines way off if using the measuring method. Lately I have been glueing the panels together sparingly, and doing a rough wet mold to establish the stitch lines. Others have luck using the measuring method and measuring the frame and barrel separately and adjusting each section of lines independently. If your lines are too close around the cylinder, it will be hard to bone tight to the cylinder. If they are too loose, the fit will be sloppy and will loosen up quickly. If I stitch a little too tight, I work the leather around the cylinder as best as I can by hand and then clamp pieces of hard rubber on all three sides of the cylinder while the leather dries to get a better looking fit. Once it is dry, I re-case (with a damp sponge - stick it in a zip-lock bag and allow to soak into the fibers for 1/2 hour or so) and bone the finishing touches.

Wow a "Safety Speed" holster. I havent seen those for a very long time. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.....

Well, I guess that you are actually talking about a standard pouch holster --- not a clam shell. Here's a couple of pics of a 'Clam Shell' duty holster from the early '60's. It wasn't too good of a rig as it had a tendency to pop open at unannounced times --- dumping your shooter on the ground. However one large law enforcement agency carried them for some time.Wouldn't work at all for an IWB. Mike

cs2.jpg

clam1.jpg

My first question for your customer is WHY? IWB is for concealment. How do you conceal a six inch Dan Wesson wheel gun? With a barrel like that?

You would have to be a REALLY big person. And the comfort question? Inside your pants? Actually walking, sitting in a car, going out to eat?

The other ideas are good.

Good luck!

Kevin

My first question for your customer is WHY? IWB is for concealment. How do you conceal a six inch Dan Wesson wheel gun? With a barrel like that?

You would have to be a REALLY big person. And the comfort question? Inside your pants? Actually walking, sitting in a car, going out to eat?

The other ideas are good.

Good luck!

Kevin

Its for a 2" dan