Sign in to follow this  
chancey77

March 2012 Challenge

Will have to try some of the premium veg tans when I get better, would hate to waste it now

That's what those scrap bags are for. And, most of it is actually premium leather that was either cut off or has a little flaw in it somewhere. I have a hole side of HO sitting here uncut because all the scrap stuff I have is just fine for making projects with at little to know cost.

This is why I wanted to post a photo sooner...all the awesome advice. Than you all for that.

I have just been too chicken and I do find the photo posting different than other sites, but I will figure it out.

I have a local Tandy and should have used a veg shoulder I have instead of the precuts I got for the kids to fool around with.

Will have to try some of the premium veg tans when I get better, would hate to waste it now

Patience is the key! No need to go dropping big money on anything until you are sure you are ready...until then the small cheap stuff with get you in the direction you will be heading. Tandy has assortment bags for sale as well, and if you have one close just go by there and pick out your bag, they are cheap!

It was great of Cyberthrasher to come up with the Celtic Knot idea for tis month...that way we all know who to cuss....rofl.gif......OMG!!!!!!

KRYPTONITE! Can't see the cross over or under lines...feeling week...ohhhhhh must Bevel....everything is joning together...ohhhhhh nooooooooooooo.... I border stamped a cross over line....OH GOD HELP US ALLLLLLLLLLLLL

Perkulee "#%&*^`! Cyberthrasher...YOU DEMENTED INDIAN!

hahahahahacrazy.gif

post-28433-061557500 1331585778_thumb.jp

Edited by chancey77

Patience is the key! No need to go dropping big money on anything until you are sure you are ready...until then the small cheap stuff with get you in the direction you will be heading. Tandy has assortment bags for sale as well, and if you have one close just go by there and pick out your bag, they are cheap!

It was great of Cyberthrasher to come up with the Celtic Knot idea for tis month...that way we all know who to cuss....rofl.gif......OMG!!!!!!

KRYPTONITE! Can't see the cross over or under lines...feeling week...ohhhhhh must Bevel....everything is joning together...ohhhhhh nooooooooooooo.... I border stamped a cross over line....OH GOD HELP US ALLLLLLLLLLLLL

Perkulee "#%&*^`! Cyberthrasher...YOU DEMENTED INDIAN!

hahahahahacrazy.gif

(IN CASE YOU ARE WONDERING CBRTRSR!) I am Seminole Nation Exile! Spoiled Blood- Walks With 3 Legs...hahahaha

LOL I'm 1/4 Muscogee.(Creek) "the Civilized Tribes" ha!

Hey, I didn't say celtic. I said IRISH - you're the one who said Celtic!! :rofl:

Got it all finished - I punched the holes already for my snaps, but that's not part of the challenge.

post-22094-088549300 1331611043_thumb.jp

Looks cool

Give us a pic of it with the snaps in.

I think I am going to try another one...on better leather this time

Edited by WScott

Looks cool

Give us a pic of it with the snaps in.

I think I am going to try another one...on better leather this time

Yeah, that will have to wait about a week I think. I reached for my snaps......gone!! I'm assuming my klepto kid got to them, but the new ones are on order.

Here is my knot. It was still too dark from being oiled to take a picture of this morning. Knot is around 4" in diameter, strands are about 1/4 inch. Tools were a regular Tandy swivel knife, A beveler (modern Tandy-purchased Craftool #B801) and a tiny ball point stylus. I am never doing this again unless I use a filigree blade. The leather was just a bit of scarred shoulder, so it's not pretty, but I did case it properly, which helped. It might also be prettier if I used an undercut beveler for the crossings, a series of checkered background tools, and better leather, but all in all, I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

post-21845-049891400 1331615957_thumb.jp

Here is my knot. It was still too dark from being oiled to take a picture of this morning. Knot is around 4" in diameter, strands are about 1/4 inch. Tools were a regular Tandy swivel knife, A beveler (modern Tandy-purchased Craftool #B801) and a tiny ball point stylus. I am never doing this again unless I use a filigree blade. The leather was just a bit of scarred shoulder, so it's not pretty, but I did case it properly, which helped. It might also be prettier if I used an undercut beveler for the crossings, a series of checkered background tools, and better leather, but all in all, I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

Nice job, Winter. Looks like all you need to do is make a back and you got a pouch. :)

did you use the stylus to just draw the picture? Or ..as a tool to get into the tight spots?

If you only used it to draw then you have another tool option!

LOOKS GREAT!!!!!

Yeah, that will have to wait about a week I think. I reached for my snaps......gone!! I'm assuming my klepto kid got to them, but the new ones are on order.

The snaps from Tandy are awful! They are expensive and you get like 10-20...and they are weak snaps! They pop real easy...so if you are putting them on a bracelet chances are you will lose it after about a week!

They should have them at Johann's or Frank's or whatever big store that has sewing and crafts stuff. I get mine from boot supply shop that is for shoemakers, I get 100 heavy duty snaps for about 12 bucks, brass , silver or copper, they sell boxes of 1,000 but that is 20 per part per box so 80 bucks, but I just buy 100 at a time and that lasts a while:) I think I bought 100 silver ones 5-6 months ago and I use 2 snaps per bracelet. I use the same ones for everything, wallets,belts,bracelets,cases....Heavy Duty! NOT LINE 24!!!!!!!! THEY SUCK!!!!!!

If you are in a pinch just seek out a Cobbler/ Shoe repair guy local and either buy some from them or ask where they order their snaps from. It may be a local supplier.

Hey, I didn't say celtic. I said IRISH - you're the one who said Celtic!! :rofl:

Got it all finished - I punched the holes already for my snaps, but that's not part of the challenge.

post-22094-088549300 1331611043_thumb.jp

The Irish are Celtic tongue.gif

I like the bracelet, that came out well.

And I forgot to thank you for the info on the swivel beveler, so, THANK YOU banana.gif

That is really nice, too dark or knottongue.gif

I think it might be upside down laugh.gif

Nice job, Winter. Looks like all you need to do is make a back and you got a pouch. :)

Or a tiny purse just barely big enough for phone and wallet. :)

did you use the stylus to just draw the picture? Or ..as a tool to get into the tight spots?

If you only used it to draw then you have another tool option!

LOOKS GREAT!!!!!

To get into the tight spots and sharpen corners, to bevel the crossings, and to round and smooth the knot.

That is really nice, too dark or knottongue.gif

I think it might be upside down laugh.gif

Nope. I plan to fold it in half with that knot on the front. It'll be the closing flap, the blank portion will be the back and undecorated.

Or a tiny purse just barely big enough for phone and wallet. :)

To get into the tight spots and sharpen corners, to bevel the crossings, and to round and smooth the knot.

Nope. I plan to fold it in half with that knot on the front. It'll be the closing flap, the blank portion will be the back and undecorated.

YOU HAVE DONE YOUR CHALLENGE AND CONQUERED!!!!!!!! Challenge was Create a Celtic Knot using only 3 tools......

Now whatever you decide to do with the rest is up to you....you should stamp the back as well and lace it up...that is going to make a very nice pouch!!

GREAT JOB!!!!!! Post up some pics when it is all done!

THANKS SO MUCH FOR PARTICIPATING AND I HOPE YOU HAD FUN!

The snaps from Tandy are awful! They are expensive and you get like 10-20...and they are weak snaps! They pop real easy...so if you are putting them on a bracelet chances are you will lose it after about a week!

They should have them at Johann's or Frank's or whatever big store that has sewing and crafts stuff. I get mine from boot supply shop that is for shoemakers, I get 100 heavy duty snaps for about 12 bucks, brass , silver or copper, they sell boxes of 1,000 but that is 20 per part per box so 80 bucks, but I just buy 100 at a time and that lasts a while:) I think I bought 100 silver ones 5-6 months ago and I use 2 snaps per bracelet. I use the same ones for everything, wallets,belts,bracelets,cases....Heavy Duty! NOT LINE 24!!!!!!!! THEY SUCK!!!!!!

If you are in a pinch just seek out a Cobbler/ Shoe repair guy local and either buy some from them or ask where they order their snaps from. It may be a local supplier.

I had a credit at Springfield, so I through some in there with some bigger eyelets that I needed. I'm heading to Joanne's after work to see if they have any to get it done now. It's funny, we're a big rodeo/western town, but there isn't much for supply stores around here.

That's a great job Winter. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

I haven't been following this thread because I don't know how to do a Celtic knot and don't feel like I have time to learn right now. I hear you say every thing that's wrong, but I think it's beautiful WinterBear, and probably just another day in your multi and I DO mean multi-talented life. c

A few more pic's, it's nearly finished.

Not sure I've got with the right colour scheme, we'll see......

post-14765-039295900 1331657076_thumb.jp

post-14765-083508900 1331657086_thumb.jp

post-14765-061282900 1331657173_thumb.jp

I think it will look fine. Mine went through several schemes before I settled on that outcome.

Turned out great!! I like the colors too...

I think it will look fine. Mine went through several schemes before I settled on that outcome.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Turned out great!! I like the colors too...

I still need to do the text and boarder smile.gif

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I don't know---maybe just the border:) the background looks cool natural and so does the text! Maybe just brush the lines around the text and call it DONE!

My wife said yours did an awesome job coloring that for you...hahahaha

She likes it:) Kaisa approved stamp on that one buddy!

I don't know---maybe just the border:) the background looks cool natural and so does the text! Maybe just brush the lines around the text and call it DONE!

My wife said yours did an awesome job coloring that for you...hahahaha

She likes it:) Kaisa approved stamp on that one buddy!

Oooops head_hurts_kr.gif

Kiitos paljon Kaisa........ see if ya still feel the same when it's dry

I'd leave it natural colored.

I'd leave it natural colored.

I'm wishing I had done just that, but, I haven't sad.gif

I gotta agree with Chancey. Brush some highlights around your lettering to set it off from the background and maybe dye the border that same brown that you have on the knot, then call it good.

Is it just me, or does it seem like people are having a lot more fun with the challenges when we dye them?

Edited by Cyberthrasher