angie m

Strap Edges

I make LOTS of thin straps and have been putting a dyed edge on each...is there a faster way than just using a dauber. It is taking forever and they end up looking messy no matter how hard I try. I bought the cheap edge box from Weaver, but it was not what I had hoped for. It did not really make it easier. Is there a better way? THANKS

How thin are your straps? Have you tried just burnishing them? It sounds like you are dyeing the edges a different color from the front and back. Not easy.

Foam applicator is better than a dauber for that purpose.

I don't usually do different colors for edges, . . . but when I do, . . . pull off a piece of Bounty paper towel about 2 inches wide, . . . 4 inches long.

Fold, re-fold, re-fold until it is about 1/2 wide and 2 inches long. Grab the "open" end of the fold with a spring clothes pin, . . . dip the folded over end down into the dye or edging, . . . use that folded paper towel to color the edge.

Like I said, . . . don't do it much, . . . don't like to do it, . . . but this is the safest system I have developed.

Hate having to do a project over because the edging didn't turn out right.

May God bless,

Dwight

I use a sharpie magnum for thin leather edges. Most stores only sell black, but they come in blue and red as well. A red edge looks great on a light brown or tan piece. I still haven't found a use for the blue yet.:rolleyes2: You have a lot more control and you don't have to worry about drips.

My dad will sandwich the leather between his marble slab and his pounding pad and just rub the dauber along the exposed edge. I don't like to do this because you have to constantly clean the marble and pad. It does keep the dye from showing up on the front of the leather.

Tandy sells small squared daubers that are good for edges. They are felted like a marker tip, so they retain their shape better than the round ones.

I use a small artist's paintbrush - takes a while but you can *almost* guarantee not to get dye on the front of the belt. I found that the little wool daubers don't give a clean enough edge.

I'd prefer not to have to dye the edges if possible, but for pre-dyed (e.g. bridle leather) where the dye doesn't penetrate all the way through the leather, I'd say you've really got to dye the edge. Even a well burnished undyed edge will still have a narrow line of undyed leather showing all along the edge.

Shame that Fiebings have apparently stopped doing edge dye. I found the black really good - very good penetration along the cut edge, with no seepage onto the front. Pro-oil dyes are just that little bit thicker, so don't flow quite so well.

Geoff

Beveling the edges after you dye also helps.

I found that using cut up felt buffing pads work well for me. I use a great black dye that I get from Angelus shoe polishing co. It's called Military. They said this month they will be offering it in brown also. Fingers crossed.

For me it depends on the dye... and my mood.

I've used felt tip pens by "BIC"... check art stores for Bic Mark It Permanent Markers... in 24 color sets.

I've used a dauber both the large size and the lolly pop size... and the squared ones. I find them unwieldy.

I've also used my fingertip in acrylic dyes.

I've been thinking about one of those refillable Bingo daubers like this

http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?product=751&es=237530000ESC&utm_source=CSE&utm_medium=weblink&utm_campaign=froogle&cvsfa=408&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=373531&gclid=CPjghIm55K4CFeYERQodrzn6aA

And there are empty felt tips you can get to fill with dye. http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/10803574-AA.shtml

I have my edges ready to be burnished. I have a few daubers that I have lit afire and burned them down to at least half their original size. This works well for me the burned daubers keep the amount of dye on hand in control and I don't get drips or run over.

THANKS everyone!!! I found some sponge pieces on a stick at hobby lobby today that I am going to try. Thanks for the ideas....I am doing straps tomorrow. I will try some of your ideas out. :)