Sign in to follow this  
dfd

Recessing Rivets?

I've been making a few holsters and it's been going good but someone pointed out that I need to do something so that the rivets and snaps used in construction don't come in contact with the gun.Is there some way that you holster folks address this problem?

You can sandwich the rivet or snap bottom between two pieces of leather. I am doing a IWB holster and the T-nuts are between the two layers of leather I used for the front. Two pieces of 4/5 oz glued together with the grain out on both sides. This is my top piece and I put the T-nut between the two layers.

I have also recessed a rivet then glued a circle of leather about the size of a quarter over the rivet bottom. It stays in place and protects the surfaces. But that is not as good as putting the bottom between two pieces of leather.

Michael

You can countersink the rivet using a french edge skiver.

Here's a link to a video showing how it is done.

http://bcove.me/iz6ocvvs

If you will show us a drawing or picture of your dilemma, . . . it will be easier to address that way.

May God bless,

Dwight

For the ones you have already made take a look at High Desert Leather http://www.highdesertleather.com/id74.html. they sell plastic snap back covers for line 24 snaps that will help protect your weapons.

Scott