srbonner

Backgrounding Large Area

Ok I am 2 for 2 on getting the help and advice i need so Im gonna throw out another one. Im am working on a large tooling. The person is wanting a cross in a piece of leather. They gave me a pic of and example they wanted. Basically it is a large cross about 16"x20" and looks as if it has just been tooled with a backgrounder. The original is not a large as the 16"x20" that they are wanting. My question to all you professionals is what is the best way to background a large area? Do I need to just take off and do it with a regular backgrounder or is there another method. Thank you.

You might consider making the cross look like wood.

To background those large areas you need the largest tool you can find of a "Subtle" texture. Don't get carried away with the depth of the texture.

ferg

Ok I am 2 for 2 on getting the help and advice i need so Im gonna throw out another one. Im am working on a large tooling. The person is wanting a cross in a piece of leather. They gave me a pic of and example they wanted. Basically it is a large cross about 16"x20" and looks as if it has just been tooled with a backgrounder. The original is not a large as the 16"x20" that they are wanting. My question to all you professionals is what is the best way to background a large area? Do I need to just take off and do it with a regular backgrounder or is there another method. Thank you.

A couple of other approaches might be:

Do it inverted and never mind the backgrounding, or

Use a large piece of sand paper with a course grit, and press it ontot he leather.

Do tests to see what you like.

I'd go with the inverted beveling.

A couple of other approaches might be:

Do it inverted and never mind the backgrounding, or

Use a large piece of sand paper with a course grit, and press it ontot he leather.

Do tests to see what you like.

I'd go with the inverted beveling.

That is why these guys are so awesome!!!!!!!!!

Great idea Paul! Course grit Sand Paper 20-30 grit! Is exactly what I thought of when I read that too!

notworthy.gif

And 50years leather is right about the wood grain as well....these guys are on FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!16.gif16.gif

Edited by chancey77

Hi Bonner:

It might help in the future if you tried to give us a picture of your example picture. I personally cringe at the thought of having to use an A104 or similar small back grounding tool on something that large. The hand cramps alone would kill me!

I've seen the sandpaper back grounding done before it looks pretty nice and it's random enough that if you need to tear bits to shape it to fit smaller areas, it shouldn't give you problems.

You might even be able to lay the pieces out and use a roller or rolling pin to press it into the leather Just a thought, but if you have some roofing shingles laying around.... you could use that too. Of course test it on a scrap piece before you try it on your project.

S

I use an F900 when I background large areas.....

I use a pepple tool around the objects and just let it fade out...It works too and in my eyes it looks cool :-)

If you want a coarser than sandpaper effect, I would use a meat mallet with both fine or larger faces.

Lois

post-13610-073535700 1331880832_thumb.jp

This piece was backgrounded with a F900......

post-5889-064002400 1331898240_thumb.jpg