stelhrse

What Motivates You To Keep Going

Good Morning All,

I am really new to this wonderful yet sometimes frustrating craft we call leathercrafting. I find myself lacking the motivation at times to either start a project I wanted to do or complete one that I already started. I think part of my issue is that I feel that I should be doing better than I am. I see so-o-o-o many beautiful and creative works on this site. I just wonder if I will ever reach that level of proficiency and quality for the work I do. I have been learning off and on for about 6 months but my life is very busy with work, family and just life in general so that could be part of the problem too. I cannot devote the time I feel I need to allow me to spend the time to practice, practice, practice!! Any thoughts? Would love to hear if anyone else hits those walls and what you do to get over them. Do you have anything you do to allow yourself to free up more time? I also want to say a very huge thanks to the folks here that are so willing to share their thoughts, techniques and processes. It really helps those of us that are new and struggling. Thanks.

Hi, I faced this myself also.Sometimes, I find it hard to start a project. But once started, it gets going.So I analysed what are the factors that makes it so hard for me to start.1. Due to a lack of space, I had to put everything away after using it. One example is my splitter, after splitting just one piece, I have to de-mount it from my work table, oil the blade, put it away in the box. If I need to use it, I need to de-oil the blade, mount it, and maybe just split a 3" X 8" piece. So if the project requires splitting a few pieces, I'd probably find it a big bother especially when I only have an hour or so before I need to sleep, ahead of another 14 hour work day.2. Cutting out the pieces takes alot of time. And its really mundane work.After identifying the above, I took the following actions:1. I got an extra table, smaller one, just to mount my arbor press and splitter, so they will be easier to use, and less of a psychological bother.2. I got some small dies made just for small pieces like card slots. I can't use big dies anyway, since I use an arbor press instead of a proper press. So I still cut out the big pieces by hand. But at least I can cut all the pieces I need in one sitting.It would help for you to identify which are the process you would still enjoy to do, and which are the process you find mundane and then get machinery/tools to help you "speed over" these processes. The steps to make a common item is probably the same for everyone, but everyone will definitely have their favourite part of the process. And its good for you to take a step back and think about it.

Edited by reddevil76

I think most of us have an issue with staying motivated at one time or another. For me, I spend as much time as I can on research when my hands aren't working leather. Youtube, google books, the library of congress, websites, supplier sites, and of course Leatherworker.net have all become essential during my learning journey.

My work space initially was an 18"x18" bistro table with a bathroom granite sink cut out on it. Trust me not having enough room, as Reddevil says, is a huge problem. My space is still not ideal,.. it's schlocked together tables shaped into a U so I can spin from my computer to my tooling area to my layout area. I still have to put up and take down my cutting space and I have to go out into the garage to do other things. But I'm slowly creating a space that works for me.

Then a funny thing happened. I started "inventing" things. I created things for another of my hobbies, jewelry making and guitar. My first piece made on a lark, sold on Yardsellr.

:jawdropper:

And I had interest from other guitarists... so I made another "Thing" and it sold. I hate to say it but $ is a great motivating factor, but it can also be a creativity killer if you have a particularly demanding customer or one that feels they need to have updates every 20 minutes.

Keep in mind you can "practice" by drawing designs as well. If you can draw it chances are you can carve it.

As far as comparing your work to what you see here. Keep in mind that just like guitar... 6 months of practice does NOT make you into (insert favorite guitarist here)... It makes you, a guitarist with 6 months worth of practice. So give yourself a break. No one here with average ability just jumped in brand new and began carving and putting together perfect projects. The mistake is part of the learning process... and it's what you learn from your mistakes that makes you a better artist.

Finally, one motivating factor is not having to worry how something will come out. For this reason get yourself a few pounds of leather scrap and practice on those. Knife cuts, stamping, designing your own art, even doodling on some leather that you aren't going to make into a wallet or whatever allows you to make those mistakes, try new things and learn without the stress of having to be perfect. Just have fun. If you make a cut... and it sparks something take some stamps and turn it into a tree.

Good luck.

Sylvia

Edited by Sylvia

The biggest motivator for me, is, the great things on this site. When I see some of the exceptional tooling, sewing and outstanding design work I get pumped. Reddevil76 is right about your work place. The more convienent and easy to get at everything are the more you will enjoy it. The thing for me is looking at something that makes me go, WOW and then my mind races with, "I want to do that!". So I continue to practice and learn. Someday, hopefully, something, I made will make someone go WOW! I can dream, can't I.

Keep going, you'll get there,

Jon

Everyone doing a craft or any other work for pleasure or income, has things they don't like to do. I personally am an R&D person. Once I have figured out how to do something it becomes boring to me.

Ask my wife. I love Leather Crafting. We also have a full time business that has nothing to do with leather. During the Christmas season we work 14 hour days, seven days a week. I also grow, in my greenhouse,

about 2500 to 3000 flowers for our yard plus another 1500 or so perennials. I have a garden over 1/2 an acre and other than mowing our yard I mow five acres of open field. Our home is log, there are things to look after every year.

I am supposed to be retired. LOL We have four grown children with seven grandkids and a dog. I do some photography, dabble in computer programming, and repair all of our computers and CNC machinery.

I still have time for the leather although admittedly not as much time as I would like.

I began leather crafting some 50 plus years ago, I am still learning every day/ That is what keeps me interested and going to the next project.

ferg

Keep going, you'll get there,

Jon

Everyone doing a craft or any other work for pleasure or income, has things they don't like to do. I personally am an R&D person. Once I have figured out how to do something it becomes boring to me.

Ask my wife. I love Leather Crafting. We also have a full time business that has nothing to do with leather. During the Christmas season we work 14 hour days, seven days a week. I also grow, in my greenhouse,

about 2500 to 3000 flowers for our yard plus another 1500 or so perennials. I have a garden over 1/2 an acre and other than mowing our yard I mow five acres of open field. Our home is log, there are things to look after every year.

I am supposed to be retired. LOL We have four grown children with seven grandkids and a dog. I do some photography, dabble in computer programming, and repair all of our computers and CNC machinery.

I still have time for the leather although admittedly not as much time as I would like.

I began leather crafting some 50 plus years ago, I am still learning every day/ That is what keeps me interested and going to the next project.

ferg

Thanks to all you folks for the words of encouragment. I just need to stick with it and perservere. It's good to know there are folks that have had the same sturggles. Thanks again so very much for the encouragement.

Wow it is like looking into a post that I would make. I see all the great stuff here and say to my self why can't I do that yet. Sometimes i feel discouraged too. I like to take a step back and realize that I am not that artist/leathercrafter. I need to work harder to get to that level.

I try to do leather crafting or something for my leather crafting least a hour a day. Even if it is to practice drawing so I can make my own tooling designs. If I'm sick of swivel knife practice I move to stamping or pattern making for future projects or designing a tool cabinet I want to store all my tools in. Leather working is such a broad craft, you don't have to get stuck in one area and get frustrated or bored. Remember why you enjoyed the craft and you should feel all the doubt and negativity lift away.

Wow it is like looking into a post that I would make. I see all the great stuff here and say to my self why can't I do that yet. Sometimes i feel discouraged too. I like to take a step back and realize that I am not that artist/leathercrafter. I need to work harder to get to that level.

I try to do leather crafting or something for my leather crafting least a hour a day. Even if it is to practice drawing so I can make my own tooling designs. If I'm sick of swivel knife practice I move to stamping or pattern making for future projects or designing a tool cabinet I want to store all my tools in. Leather working is such a broad craft, you don't have to get stuck in one area and get frustrated or bored. Remember why you enjoyed the craft and you should feel all the doubt and negativity lift away.

Your comments ring true along with the others posted here. Thanks to all who responded. Ferg, I got alot of encourgement from you as you are one busy dude and you STILL find time to do your leather work. I just need to stick with it and the level of quality will come. I am very fortunate that I have tons of support at home for whatever I choose to do and that includes the time to do it. As long as there are folks like those on this site, I will get my encourgement and draw to keep on keeping on. Thanks to all. Have a blessed day.