Mijo

Correct Use Of Terms

If I described my handstitched products as "saddle stitched " does that automatically imply that it's handstitched? Are there sewing machines that can saddle stitch (I'm not familiar enough with sewing machines)? Or would it be better to simply state that the products are hand stitched? I'm trying to be concise as possible when describing my products.

Do you think the average person is going to understand the difference between a regular stitch and a saddle stitch? Or is that something that has to be explained to a customer so that they can appreciate the difference. Any input / opinions are greatly appreciated.

Well, I haven't been around that long so I don't know if there's a technical difference in terms. I want to say that saddle stitched is hand stitched, but can't say for sure.

That being said, I don't think an average customer is always going to associate saddle-stitched with hand stitched, so I would always make it a point somewhere that you do all of your work my hand so that they can appreciate what you do.

If I described my handstitched products as "saddle stitched " does that automatically imply that it's handstitched? Are there sewing machines that can saddle stitch (I'm not familiar enough with sewing machines)? Or would it be better to simply state that the products are hand stitched? I'm trying to be concise as possible when describing my products.

Do you think the average person is going to understand the difference between a regular stitch and a saddle stitch? Or is that something that has to be explained to a customer so that they can appreciate the difference. Any input / opinions are greatly appreciated.

I don´t think the average person knows the difference between handstitched or machinestitched, so why not describe your products as handstitched if they are. Saddle stitched is confusing .

/ my two cents / Knut

Or just describe them as "Saddle Stitched by Hand"

I don´t think the average person knows the difference between handstitched or machinestitched, so why not describe your products as handstitched if they are. Saddle stitched is confusing .

/ my two cents / Knut

Hey, that was a much easier way of stating what I was trying to say. I hate over thinking my thoughts.

Hey, that was a much easier way of stating what I was trying to say. I hate over thinking my thoughts.

I have some bright moments once in a while, although not too often! :crazy:

Edited by oldtimer

I'd say hand stitched . There are many ways to sew by hand besides the saddle stitch.

So saying ' hand stitched ' would cover them all.

I don't know of any machine that can sew a saddle stitch.

Joel

Just to add to the confusion, a few years ago, Nissan advertised that their seats were handsewn and I've seen some bootmakers advertise that their tops are handsewn, I highly doubt either is really handsewn. I think they are trying to say a human runs the machine as opposed to a computer.

Kevin

We have that with a manufacturer that advertises about being hand sewn here as well and they try to make a big thing out of it suffice to say there is a video of their staff quite cheerily working along with industrial sewing machines.

Most of the general public I doubt would know what saddle stitching is unless there is a leather worker in the family,I would go with hand stitching and educate customers on the difference between actual hand sewn and hand sewing with machine help.

Clair

I'd say hand stitched . There are many ways to sew by hand besides the saddle stitch.

So saying ' hand stitched ' would cover them all.

I don't know of any machine that can sew a saddle stitch.

Joel

That is what I say as well, everything I do is 'hand-stitched' and I let the consumer know that by that I mean that every single stitch is placed by hand. There seems to be people out there that really seem to like to know that the product they are getting is completely worked by the makers hand.

We have that with a manufacturer that advertises about being hand sewn here as well and they try to make a big thing out of it suffice to say there is a video of their staff quite cheerily working along with industrial sewing machines.

Clair

well then complain to your regional advertising standards commission....thats what they are there for!

I work in the UK advertising industry, and things like that are simply not allowed. Its misrepresenting the product and misleading the consumer.

Stick up for your rights and give the advertisers a wake up call.

adam

Thanks for all the input, I'll go with hand stitched or sewn when describing my products.